Lights Out

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
So how long can the corals go without light?

I'm trying to kill some algae and have left the lights off for 24hrs.

How long do the lights need to be off to have an effect/kill the algae?

I've gone as long as 7 days with the lights off and the tank wrapped in a dark sheet.The corals stayed pissed off for a couple of days,but the only thing I lost was some cyano and hair algae.

How about this schedule to reduce algae?

5 days out
8 days on
5 days out
8 days on

etc etc until I get rid of the algae.

I'm going to reduce my lighting schedule by 1hr. as well. Is it true that T5 will produce algae when they are getting worn out? Mine are over 1yr old.

i dont think you need to do that. Just once (5 day period) should get rid of the algae. Also increase your water changes during that time. Everyday 10-20% if you really want to put up a good fight. Use no tap water and go out of your way to buy the best ro water you can find...

Old bulbs of any kind will cause more algae.As the bulbs age,they start leaning more toward the red spectrium which the algae is better suited for.
You'll also need to manually remove as much of the algae as possible.As it dies off,it releases the nutrients its stored up right back into your tank.

2 days and I see less algae already. Did a 6g water change tonight.

Trying to sell corals to pay for lights. Need some new ones, but it'll cost me $150.

are you buying the light for the corals you are selling? LOL :mrgreen:

No. I got a nice little frag operation going in my 10g tank. :mrgreen: It's actually quite shocking how much money a 10g frag tank will produce it you put some serious effort into fragging, growing, advertising, packaging and collecting the cash. :shock:

4 days no light. Did my 2nd water change today. 5g. Less algae and the stuff that is left has a lot less green color. It's working. I still have TOO MUCH algae in my tank though. I am going to have to turn the lights back on at some point, or the corals will die.

I'd go a head and turn em back on Rc.But just run them 1/2 the time for a week,then off for another 4 days.

Back