Lights/Refuge

Nedim

Reefing newb
I'm finally upgrading from a FOWLR to a full reef. I've got a general idea of what I want to stock, but I'm having trouble with nitrates. I'm running a Magnum Canister filter and I think thats the cause of the high nitrates, as I do weekly water changes. I was thinking of adding "bio media" to the canister filter in place of the carbon to establish bacteria that would naturally keep nitrate levels down. I was also thinking of using an emperor hang on filter that I have as a hang on refuge. Instead of carbon and a biowheel, maybe some macro or something. For lighting, I was thinkng of nova 10k t-5's. Any suggestions?

You can still use carbon, but use it along with a phosphate remover like Phosban in a phosphate reactor to increase efficiency. And replace the carbon monthly before it can grow enough aerobic bacteria to produce nitrates from nitrites. Next, never use any bioballs or other bio media, but DO create a refugium which has macroalgae (e.g. chaetomorpha) that will extract nitrates from the water for growth.

Would the hang on filter make a good refuge?

Im even considering removing the canister filter. I have roughly 50lb LR with a Coralife 125 SS. The tank is a 46 bow.

Can you put a sump down below your tank? That would give more space for a refugium with macroalgae. If not a fairly large size HOB filter can hold macroalgae (though not as much). And I would add another 20 - 30 lbs of LR.
Neuro

I should have enough space for a sump, but Im confused as to how they are set up and how they work. I have a few 10g tanks around the house that I think I can use. What would I need to set up a sump?

A means of letting water leave your main tank (e.g. a hole drilled out or an overflow box), then at least 2 chambers in your sump (refugium and skimmer), then a pump to pass water back up and into your main tank. Do some online research into sump design.
Neuro

tank.jpg

heres a quick shot of my setup. The canister filter is currently on the right side below the tank. Thats where I would setup the sump.

Back