Lights?

BryanS

Reefing newb
I'm looking at getting some new lights because the ones that came with the tank are not going to be any good for what I want to do later on down the road.(reef) Right now I only have LR and LS in a 29 gallon tank.

1. My qeustion is what kind of lights work better PCs or T5s. I'm not interested in MHs.

2. I have been looking at some Current usa PC and T5s. Both of the PCs I'm looking at have 130 total watts with only two lights, where as the T5s have four lights and only 100 watts. Can someone please tell me the differences and why the PCs have more watts with less bulbs and does that matter?

Thankyou for any help

Go with the T-5s.
The difference is the diameter of the bulbs.Something about the way their made,you get more usable light per watt with T-5s.

T5s are much better than PCs. With PCs, you'll be limited to keeping softies and some LPS. With T5s you can keep anything you want, SPS, clams and anemones. Even with fewer watts, the T5s are better.

T5-HO bulbs put out alot more PAR(photosynthetic active radiation) than PC's.So that 100w T5 fixture is still better then the PC.

im just starting out and i have pc's. going to buy a 175w mh fixture with pc's and moon lights in the morning used off of cl. i can not go against any thing these other guys/gals are saying because i don't even have it setup yet.:bowdown: that being said i read every lighting article on this site under articles and i thought they all said pc's were just as good as t5's, cooler than t5's, and cheeper than t5's. but all above say t5's are the way to go as do all the fish stores????? :question:

Those articles are talking about VHOs with are actually T-8s I think.
T-5s run cooler,last longer,are cheaper,and provide just as good a light as anything on the market today.
IMO,With the right bulbs and fixture,you can do as with with T-5s as you can 250 or 400 watt metal halides,and not have to worry about the heat.

The Nova Extreme you listed above is good.

I'm not sure of the length of your tank.Here's a list from good to better,the cost goes up with the better fixtures.

Nova extreme...http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+16770&pcatid=16770

Nova Pro's...http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+18700&pcatid=18700

Tek.....http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Light_Fixtures/

There are even more higher end fixtures but I'm not sure you want to go there.

Thanks reef my tank is 30" long. Alot of the places I have looked skip over 30" long lights I see alot of 24" and 36" but not many 30" fixtures.

i dont think youll find a 30" fixture, its not that the places your looking dont stock 30" lights, its that the companies dont make 30" lights

Thanks reef my tank is 30" long. Alot of the places I have looked skip over 30" long lights I see alot of 24" and 36" but not many 30" fixtures.

T5-HO bulbs don't come in 30'' is probably why you don't see very many fixtures in that size.Personally,I would go with 36''.Use legs and let it hang 3 inches off the sides or better yet,hang the fixture.

well will you look at these and tell me if i am miss reading something because I thought these were t5s in a 30" fixture? I guess I'm miss reading it.

It does appear to be a 30" fixture, but it still only has 24" bulbs, same as the one above it. go with the 36" and let it hang over, that way if you ever go up a tank size, you can use the same light

The 30" T5 fixtures that you can find use 24" bulbs, but they stagger them.

They work perfectly fine for a 30" tank, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better that fits nicely.

Thanks alot that really helps. Because I really like that fixture but I didn't want to get it and it require some hard to find lights. Will the lights being like that will that have any negative effects the way anything grows.

Thanks again

if they are staggered, it won't affect a tank like a 30 long...you'll be golden

I have a 60" fixture on a 72" tank, but thats a different story altogether

Back