lion eating

margaritaville

Reefing newb
ok i finally got my lion off of white shrimp and on silversides, good thing too cause i dont think i could afford another 60$ shrimp order, anyway i have read that they should be fed 2-3 times a week, but when ever i put food in the tank he chows down, is this ok or should i try to make sure he dosnt eat as much
thanks

try feeding the lion with a feeding stick so the you can try to keep the clowns away.I know this will not be an easy task clown are fast and greedy eaters

no clowns

clowns??? lol

my other fish arnt steeling the lions food , the lion seems to be eating at every chance he gets, and i wasnt sure if this was ok , i have read that lions should only be fed 2-3 times a week and my lion is eating like everyday!

It is difficult to tell you how much to feed as it depends on the size of food, the size of the fish, etc. basically you can feed 3 to 4 times a week as long as you do not over feed. overfeeding will cause a fatty liver and eventual death. so just watch the fish and if it feeds aggressively it is probably hungry, and if it feeds passively it has probably had enough. make sure you use a feeding tong/stick. acrylic are the best. good luck. just gage your feeding on how the fish looks. if the belly is concave it needs more food or more feedings, and if the belly is rounded it is probably overfed. I like um with just a slight hint of roundness to the belly or another way a fullness to the belly. hope this helps. happy fishin.

feeding your lion

I have a lion who is a greedy sucker as well. He fights my shark for food!!! lol. How big is your lion? What kind is it? volitans are garbage disposals and will eat until they kill themselves. If you are feeding him 3-4 times a week, make sure you keep up on water changes. More food means more waste, nitrites, blah, blah, blah. You get the idea. I tend to get cyanobacteria when I overfeed. As a guide, my volitan eats three times a week and takes in two silversides per feeding. He is about 6 inches long. Hope this was helpful.

-Marco :sfish:

Back