lionfish

I bought the 125 gallon today. I think that's gonna be my cichlid tank. I'm gonna use the 75 gallon for my salt tank. It's just gonna be too expensive turning a 125 gallon into salt water I feel. With the live sand, live rock, lights, etc etc...I'm gonna go broke. LOL. I'm gonna do some more research on this sump stuff. I think i'm scared of a sump/refugium because I dont know how they work. All the plumbing and valves and overflows and bio balls, and skimmers, and etc etc etc. It's all a bit overwhelming.

A sump is your best friend, just take your time to understand how it all works, then it wont be so intimidating. This might help some: https://www.livingreefs.com/sump-101-a-t42783.html

Also you can save a lot of money by using mostly dry rock (check out MarcoRocks Aquarium Products for super nice, cheap rock) and then just a few lbs of live rock. After you cycle the tank, it will all become live anyways. Same goes for the sand, save yourself some $$$ for the fun stuff and just get dry agronite (sp?) sand.

Thank you very much for that link! I'm starting to understand how this stuff works now. Just a quick question, if I'm gonna be running a 75 gallon saltwater tank, how big of a sump should I be using? I'm guessing that I can just use a smaller aquarium to act as my sump..after I install the baffles of course.

Remember to check out MarineScene ;) They're awesome. You will love the quality of their livestock. Buy your equipment where you can get them cheap, but get livestock from there.

I was gonna check em out today, but had to go look at a house instead. That's the only thing holding up my salt tank...buying a house. WAAAY too much competition out here in our price range

I was gonna check em out today, but had to go look at a house instead. That's the only thing holding up my salt tank...buying a house. WAAAY too much competition out here in our price range

hence why i moved further south, outside of the beltway. To damn expensive even if i love Alexandria. I will actually be hanging out there at my mom's with the kiddies. I might pop in at Pristine to check them out.

Lake Ridge is nice. It's just a few miles from me. Best eats are still in Falls Church. You have the best peking duck in the world (Peking Gourmet Inn), best Vietnamese food at Eden, best Dimsum in 7-corners :D Then you have Clarendon with more hip food.

We used to live in Falls Church. It's quite a commute to Andrew Air Force Base(where I work). Wonton, I see that you have a 125 gallon. How do you light it? 2-3' foot fixtures or 1 6' fixture?

Back