Little Fish's Science Fair Project

Weight the cup before the fish, add the fish, subtract out first weight. There will be some additional water added with the fish, but I will try and keep that in moderation, and Im assuming it will be roughly the same with each fish unless they grow drastically.

lil, what do you think about selling me that semi picasso when your done with the experiment? be sure to feed him mysis. more nutrition ;)

Also some other experimental design questions from the scientist in me. Not being critical, just wondering about some things:

How will you judge color, i.e. what is "healthy" and what is not? Do you have some sort of standard to compare it to? Color can be subjective, and they are starting out as different colors -- not identical from the beginning.

I'm assuming the answer to this is lack of space and money, but why not set them up in 4 different tanks with identical equipment and stuff, and share water between them all?

Have you thought about how the clowns changing sexes might impact your experiment?

The easiest way would be to use a pipet and put the water into two equal cups. And in one of the cups put the fish. That would give you a pretty close to exact measurement. Then the only water that would matter is the water on the said fish. If you didn't mind taking the fist completely out of water you could do the same thing but it would pretty well equal the same with the cups.

Also some other experimental design questions from the scientist in me. Not being critical, just wondering about some things:

How will you judge color, i.e. what is "healthy" and what is not? Do you have some sort of standard to compare it to? Color can be subjective, and they are starting out as different colors -- not identical from the beginning.

I'm assuming the answer to this is lack of space and money, but why not set them up in 4 different tanks with identical equipment and stuff, and share water between them all?

Have you thought about how the clowns changing sexes might impact your experiment?

Because color can be subjective it wont be a major point in this experiment, just an interesting side note. Im most taking pictures so I can keep track of each fish as they grow.

And you are right about why I cant set up 4 different tank, it would have been nice, but the roommate wouldnt have it. I also didnt have the funds to get all the equipment for that.

Every clown is in a pair, and I fully expect one of those clowns to be bigger than the other. What I think will end up doing is comparing the larger (dominant) clowns to each other, and then less dominant ones to each other. I tried to pair each of the clowns now with a similar sized buddy. So 3 & 4 are the biggest, and 7&8 are the smallest. Im hoping that %body weight change will help eliminate some of the problems in comparing them to each other on a whole.

And its nice when you are critical biff, it helps me see stuff that I might have missed or over looked. That is why I posted this on here, lots of helpful eyes around these parts :)

Yes, if you put the fish into separate containers they shouldn't sex. Maybe you should just test the weights of said fish and not the coloration? Yes, Biff we both are to science nerdy for our own good.

Just food.

But there are some things I cant totally account for, such as dominance and submissive behavior. So I have tried to compensate for that by creating multiple pairs undergoing the same thing.

I have to check with the admins before releasing the results (the official think isnt until August) but I will ask.

However, I think im being featured in the next issue of reef keeping magazine if you want to learn more!

Back