Little Grains of Rice...?

brittant

Dog Person in the Water
While feeding my critters earlier this morning, I noticed quite a few spots on the back wall of my tank that resemble grains of rice. Any idea of what they are?

(Also, to make myself feel better in the face of what I fear is bad news, here is a picture of my adorably people-watching Cardinal.)

Attachments

• 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 687
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 774
I think they are probably pods - I had them in my tank too and was worried that they were something bad, but they turned out just to be some sort of pod that my fish snacked on!

@bjohanson1234 - No spiral shells that I could see, and they appear to be stationary... I currently have four snails, two of the rock variety and two sand snails (excuse me, that's how they were sold to me and I've forgotten what they're called).

(I'm also planning on picking up several more snails this weekend or in the next few days.)

@FishyReef - I hope so; but if my fish is a fussy eater and is not consuming them, will they hurt my tank?

From peering at the tank, I've noticed there's actually two kinds of objects on the back wall - the things resembling the grains of rice, which I are think are stationary, and little white things that resemble fleas, which are moving.

I peered at the "grains", and they may or may not have spirals. I really just can't tell. They also appear to be ovals, rather than circular, so I'm not sure about the Spiorbid.

Turns out I underestimated my Cardinal... He's started popping them off the back wall every once and a while, and seems happy enough. I think I witnessed my crabs nabbing one too. Free fish food? :)

My only concern is that the "grains" themselves are not being consumed... Is there any possibility that they are some kind of flatworm? :(

After additional inspection today, there are three components to the white visitors:

1. Little grains of rice that do not appear to be flat on the tank, but have spiral shells like a hermit. They also do not appear to be moving

2. Little lice, which my fish and crabs have been snacking on, so likely pods.

3. Little circles on the glass that seem to be filled with eggs.

Would a dosage of flatworm treatment hurt the tank at all? Otherwise, might just act as though I have flatworms to be safe - especially since I'm hoping to introduce corals next week!

The little circles on the glass that appear to be filled with eggs are likely snail eggs. I get them on my glass too where my snails have been. I agree with LF, you don't have flatworms, and the things you do have are good guys and nothing to worry about!

The little white spirals are spirobids they are good.
The little lice looking things are pods. Free fish food,
The little eggs are most likely snail eggs. Free fish food.

I think you are overworried about flatworms, its not that big of a problem, just dip corals when you buy them and if down the road you do get flatworms its not a horrible problem to deal with.

Okay :) I just purchased a small bottle of AiptasiaX and a few other things today as my LFS is rather far away and my modes of transportation are very limited; this way, if something were to happen, I wouldn't have to risk waiting 4-5+ days to buy the treatment. Thank you for your help though.

Back