Little piles of sand?

Cam

Reefing newb
Over the last couple weeks I've started noticing small piles of appearing around my tank. I usually notice em in the morning... Any ideas what it could be?

I have four (yes four) perculas,
two clown gobies,
a blue damsel,
an emerald crab,
some turbo and bumble bee snails
some hermits...
and possibly an undiscovered critter who builds sand piles

Last edited:
depending on their location. Some fish will dig out hiding spots where they can go in and out of rock/decorations. It also may just be inverts digging and leaving an impression

Ive seen clowns build sand piles.

Cam, where do you go to do saltwater stuff in SLC? I am moving to Park City for the summer and Im thinking about setting up a tiny tank but I have no idea where I would get stuff.

the clown gobys I had would make piles of sand. also the bubble bee snails i had would bull-dos small piles of sand. Even my hermits do it when digging for food or a new shell. my Reef hermit likes to dig around my rock base so... I say anthing thing you have could dig the wholes

Hmm ok, so it could be anyone then ha. I'll have to keep my eye out and see who the culprit is.

I'm not sure about up in Park City but there are several places in SLC I go to my favorite probably being "The Aquarium" but other good places are; Live Rock n Reef, Pets n Such, Reef On and Marks Ark. Check out utahreefs.com there's a local pet stores link at the top that brings up a whole mess of places most of which i haven't been to

I have something in my tank piling up old snail and hermit shells in the corner of my tank. I have not idea which on is doing it. All my inverts are too small and I have never seen any fish grab shells. Will stars do this?

what fish and inverts do you have?

I have a maroon clown that does not leave his cave, 2 damsels. I have a large black bristle star and a small red serpent star. Cleaner shrimp and several small blue and red hermits.

I litterally have a pile of 10-12 shells in the corner of my tank.

my blue damsel swims real fast into the sand then shakes
like a fish out of water kicking up a ton of sand. he does this
around the base of the BIG rock

Back