Live Rock and Light

Jmarcus

Reefing newb
I added live rock to my tank over a week ago looks good alot of cool stuff growing on it. I was just wondering how many hours per day should the lights stay on? Right now I run them 6 hours. Thanks.

Thanks all!! I like for lights to be on, just don't want to over do it. As of yet all I have In the tank is live rock and live sand and three fish I brought home from a lfs last night, 2 firefish, and 1 Scoffer Blenny. Water Test look good, amonia =0 nitrite=0 nitrate=5ppm. I hate to admit but I got a little impacient. went to the lfs to buy a master test kit, Wound up new test kit and three 20$ fish, they said they would hold the fish untill I was ready. Came home tested water, made beline back to store to pick-up fish after all water test were good. I hope that I did not mess up to bad, but so far I am so far I am not unhappy. Are these fish reef friendly? Plan on adding corals when tank is stable. Thanks Mark:Cheers:

Firefish and Scooter Blennie are reef safe.The Scooter eat pods so unless they are eating fish food already it may starve.You may need to buy live pods.

good luck and congrats

Those fish are reef friendly, but it's probably a good idea to check on that before you buy next time ;). Make sure that the fish are eating and acting normal and aren't showing any signs of illness, which might happen to them since your tank is so new and those aren't really the hardiest of fish to be the first to put into your tank. It is also a good idea to add one or two fish at a time (add slowly!) because adding too many at once (especially three in a 30 gallon tank) can cause a new cycle as the system is not mature enough to handle that much of a bioload yet. It's a good possiblity that this will happen to you, since you added three fish at once, so keep an eye out for your water parameters and be ready to do a big water change if anything spikes.

Feeding frozen brine shrimp, all ate good today, firefish seem a little shy but seem to be coming out of hiding as time passes. What else do I need to take care of these fish? I just want to do the best that I can do with what I have.

They don't need any special care if they are eating fine. You might want to think about switching from frozen brine shrimp to frozen mysis shrimp -- mysis is much more nutritional.

Thank Biff as always your knowledge is most welcome. What do you think I should get as a cleaning crew? When should I think about adding additions? I try to not be impatient but it's hard to wait.

I agree with Reef and Biff.Watch your parmeters close.
As for the frozen brine shrimp.Go ahead and use it,but either switch up with mysis,krill,cyclops,and such,or mix a little bit of all in a cup.You can re-freeze it several times.

For a clean up crew,you can get some hermits,different types of snails,shrimps,crabs.
Just let your algae be your guide as to what and how many to add.

You can add a cleaning crew now, if you've already added fish then you will start getting detritus build up without a cleaning crew. There are lots of different opinions out there about what constitutes the ideal cleaning crew, but it seems that most everyone agrees that the more variety the better. Definitely get a mix of snails (avoid margarita snails -- they are not well suited for reef tanks). The best snails in my opinion, are astraeas, nassarius, turbos (if you have algae), and conchs. You should add a brittle or serpent star in a little bit (they are more sensitive to water parameters) as they are excellent detritivores. You may want to add red legged or blue legged hermit crabs, but keep in mind they will kill your snails for your shells. I had hermits in the beginning, but got so sick of them killing things that I'd NEVER have hermits as part of my cleaner crew again. Emerald crabs are a good addition too, but they need algae to eat. As for shrimp, you should buy a cleaner shrimp once your parameters are stable for a while, or you can add some peppermint shrimp. But for now, a mix of snails should do a decent job. Be sure to add your cleaner crew slowly, if they can't keep up with the job, add a couple more. You don't want to add too many at once or they'll deplete the food supply and starve to death.

Back