Live Rock and Light

yau'll are great. Maybe tomorrow I can send someone to pick-up some snails if not I will go myself. Know telling what I will come home with, will try to restrain,, can't promise

As always, Biff is right on. Get a variety for your cleaning crew and if you do go with hermit crabs (I would), make sure you pick up some empty shells that you throw into the tank. Hermits are lazy as far as seeking out snails to kill. They will choose the empty shells when they need to grow (hermits do not make their shells, but snails do) unless they have no alternative - then they will kill your snails and take their shells. When your few additions have survived a week or so, add the rest. Aim for a critter per gallon when you are done. Do have a serpent star and a cleaner shrimp or three when your tank has been around for about three months. Be careful with peppermint shrimp, many fish like sampling them - make sure your fish are not going to eat them. Mysis is great food and better nutrition than brine shrimp, I like also using frozen plankton (not reef plankton- there is a difference. Frozen plankton is larger), it is great for enhancing the color of your fish. Good Luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Good advice from everyone else.Here's my:twocents: worth on hermits.Like Biff,I to have become haters of hermits.Although I have only the small dwarf blue-legged ones.I think they are too small and weak to kill a snail,but love walking over and stealing food from my corals.Be aware they have their advantages as well as disadvantages.

One thing to add on the brittle star. If you decide to get a brittle get the black or white ones any one that stays smaller. There is a green one that is sometimes called the green death from what I have read because they get bigger and sometimes will kill and eat fish. On the hermits they can be a PITA but I would'nt have a tank without them they are fun to watch and awsome critters. If you get hermits I would go for the dwarf one's like reeffreak said. Right now I would only start with some snails ans a few hermit if you want them then add more later. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Even though I had tons of empty shells in my tank, my hermits would still kill the snails. I think they just liked the thrill of the fight and the taste of fresh meat ;).

I agree. its so random ill wake up and all of a sudden there is one of my snails..... but wait that's not one of my snails! there is a crab inside his shell!

Sent my daughter after some snails this am, Has luck would have it owner left for vacation, grandmother running store, did not know any snails I had on list, many snails there she just said she was to old and did not care to learn the trade. tomorrow I will go to a not so local store and see if I can get some satisfaction. The list I gave was astraeas, nassarius, turbos and conchs three of each. Is this a start? Also starting to get brown alge. All water test good, fish eat good for a second day. Thanks Mark:Cheers:

The brown algae is normal for a new tank, you can also try directing flow to it or adding more flow to the tank. Feed frozen food, and do your normal water changes with ro water and you'll be fine.

Thanks all. Went to nslfs today came home with, 3 white tulip snails, 10 nassarius, 4 conchs, and 1 astria. came so close to getting a sand siffiting star fish but was able to resisit. Fish still eating good, water test still good, alge still doing real good. Have also ordered two M/J 1200 to replace my one M/J 1000 is this going to be to much flow for a 30 gallon tank? Thanks Mark

Back