Live Rock Arriving Saturday!!

owen386

Reefing newb
Hey All,

Pay Day Has Come and I ordered 45lb fiji live rock off of liveaquria.com it will arrive on Saturday!! Just a Few questions I was hoping yall good help me out with. Background: Tank was purchased off CL and had previously housed severel fish, corals etc... for around a year 50 gal 48'' 21'' 12''. I have had the tank up and running for about 2 weeks now with 15lbs of live rock that was currently in the tank (kept in SW during move and re-setup, Lots of hitchikers) Aquar clear 110 HOB filter turned into Refugium with LR rubble,sand,chaeto. MY questions:
1. How long do I wait before I can add Fish As I am going to add LR to display tank as there are no fish in it?
2. I plan on adding around 25lbs. of dry rock, good idea? Will eventually become live as Im told. and will this be suffient as far as LR? Will soon be getting HOB Skimmer
3. Help With Stocking Please Want as Many fish as possible and Must be Ridiculously Gorgeous. LOL Thanks!

-Owen

You can start off slowly adding fish once your cycle(if any) has completed.
Yes, it's a good idea to add the base rock also, and you're right, it will eventually become live.
With a 40gal, you can safely stock 4-6 medium sized fish(depending on species). There are numerous, gorgeous reef safe fish you can choose from. Anthias' are beautiful for example.

1. How long do I wait before I can add Fish As I am going to add LR to display tank as there are no fish in it?

With that much live rock it will probably take a few weeks still. The bacteria on the rock you just ordered will probably have some die off from the transportation so you want to make sure that is all done before putting in a fish.
It might go fast though mine lasted about 2 weeks after the 3rd week I got my first fish and I still have him.

2. I plan on adding around 25lbs. of dry rock, good idea? Will eventually become live as Im told. and will this be suffient as far as LR? Will soon be getting HOB Skimmer

Yes I think using some dry rock is good the live rock will help to seed it and its much cheaper. If you already have 15lbs and just got 45lbs I dont think you will also need 25 of dry.
Remember because dry rock is dry, it weights much less than wet live rock so 25lbs is going to be a LOOOT of rocks. I just got 8lbs from bulk reef supply and it was as much rocks as the first 15 I got live so it was actually double in size.

3. Help With Stocking Please Want as Many fish as possible and Must be Ridiculously Gorgeous. LOL Thanks!

Fish are very personal but (depending on your substrate) I recommend getting a sandsifting goby right up front. They will really keep the sand bed stirred up and free of dirt and debris and chemical build up. They are really fun to watch also.

I also REALLY love my midas blenny she is so entertaining and social and very interactive and curious. She eats out of my hand and is always happy to see me.

Just do your research and try to decide the fish you want the MOST and then make sure that anything else you pick will be ok together with it. Make sure that your tank is big enough long term as the fishes grow.

Good luck

They have you covered so far. I would look into a coral beauty angel or a flame angel. Some of the prettiest fish available, IMO!

Back