live rock question

BigSteve

Reeferhead
I was just wondering if many of you had any experience ordering live rock through LiveAquaria.com? Their prices seem to be alot better than my LFS. If you order their premium rock is it really "premium"? I was looking at a 45# box of the "standard" to maybe get a good base when I get started. Which is still a little ways off yet but I'm getting closer looks like I'm gonna get a skimmer, a light, and RO unit soon with my tax return. On top of that I'm dying to upgrade(before even getting started) from my old bowfront tank to a 90 gallon this guy on craigs list is practicly giving away. Got to make up my mind soon, I'll keep you posted.

45# box of the "standard"
I have ordered it and it was pretty nice rock. 10x's better than my lfs and more than half the cost. I say go for it.
Also search Craigs list. many people find good rock there.
Good hunting,

I'd suggest getting your live from here Steve http://tampabaysaltwater.com/
There will be a lot more LIVING life on and in the rock.Plus it wont take as long to cure and cycle.
Liveaquaria has some great looking rock,but it'll have a lot of die-off on it when it gets to you.That will make the cycle a lot longer and it'll stink up the house.
When an order comes in from TBSW,you can pick up all kinds of critters out of the bottom of the box and add them to your tank.
We've actually had live eels,octopus,and fish come in with the Tampa Bay rock at the LFS.Of course you'll some not so good hitch hikers too,but thats part of the fun:D

I got my base rock at marcorocks.com. I would buy some base rock because it is cheap. Then buy a little live rock. Your base rock will become live rock over time!
Liveaqauaria isnt a bad place to get live rock!

I've ordered about 400 lbs of live rock from liveaquaria. It's good stuff. It especially pays if you have time to watch the site for different rock types that go on sale. On sale, you can get it for $3 - $4 per pound, including shipping.

If you order from Tampabaysaltwater be sure to call Yote and have him come draw the bow on the Mantis Shrimp that hijack there rock. Seriously though don't order "The Package" from them. Extreem overkill.
Marcorocks is good and a good price for base rock, but the rock may take a little while to get there. In the past they had some trouble with shipping quickly. Other than that I hear nothing but good about them.

Sorry Yote couldn't help myself.

Its all good Hoops.I've actually come to enjoy mantis huntin:mrgreen:
As long as its not in MY tank:D

I have ordered the majority of my LR from liveaquaria.com and I have not had any problems with the rock. I bought 75 lbs of the tonga rock for my 75 gal along with 75 lbs of fiji rock for the same tank and they gave me lots of good pieces that allowed me to make lots of caves.

I also bought some good LR from this LFS in the next town over from me. The store is called Fish Ranch (they kinda suck) but they charge about $3/lb for LR.

Appreciate all the feedback, it looked like a good deal to me I figured I might buy some of their base rock and standard to get started. I don't know how it is around the country but my LFS sells it for around $7 a pound though he usually comes down a bit when you buy a fair amount.
Thanks again

I've ordered both the Lalo and Tonga live rock from Live Aquaria.Both looked good and was much cheaper than locally even with shipping.

I like Saltycritter.com live rock too.

Back