Live rock question

Paste

I'm on a boat!
Quick question.
Will any rock really work as live rock? I know dry rock will turn into live rock, but is there a type of rock that works best?

am I looking for
surface area?
Porousness?

starting a 3rd tank, and don't want to spend money on "rocks" anymore.

May just take a trip down to the beach and get some rock outa the ocean if need be.

I have tried local river rock, didnt work at all was a mess. You can make your own rock or buy dried rock from the ocean. Marco rock is affordable. Sometimes you can find deals on lr on craigs list.

Where are you seeing dry rock less than a dollar a pound...
my LFS sells it for 2$ a lb, don't want to spend a hundo on rocks.

I can't find it online, but I don't think you're going to get any cheaper than that. $2 a pound isn't bad when most higher quality live rock goes into the hundreds and thousands of dollars. Texas Holey is the cheapest rock I have seen, at $1/lb.

yeah, but thats 3.49 a pound,
I really dont want to spend over 500$ on rocks..
I think a trip to the coast is called for.

Ok. Remember this old saw: Good fish ain't cheap and cheap fish ain't good????

Reef systems are all that and MORE.

Go here: CaribSea South Seas Base Rock: Aquarium Decorations, Rocks & Driftwood

Dry porous rock that will cause you -0- headaches 6 months from now and provide your tank an excellent biological foundation.
You better realize quick that reef tanks require a "no-shortcuts" approach IF you want a long-lasting and flourishing biosystem. Otherwise? Trial and error will be expen$ive.

Best of luck

A car scene saying I throw around a lot comes to mind. "Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick two".

Spend the money and avoid the headache. I pay $8-$12 a pound for premium rock.

You can always seed your tank with live rock and then add dry rock.

I bought dry rock at my lfs for $1 a pound and live rock (not premium) for $2 a pound. I totally understand about not wanting to spend a fortune on rock...I have a couple of rocks that I bought years ago the where like $60 for each rock...ouch...really nice rock and so nice and purple but stilll ouch...So for 50 pounds of marco rock which is around $100 with free shipping then maybe another $50 for some live stuff at the lfs...aint that bad.

Paste ;)
I'm sorry, but this is not a cheap hobby. Your lights are expensive, your coral is expensive, your live rock is expensive, the few fish you will keep are expensive, if you go the skimmer & other reactors route they are expensive, the test kits are expensive, you must use RODI water, the empty tank is expensive, and it never stops. :) There is a reviving trend towards algae scrubbers that is becoming popular and takes a good amount of the $$ sting out of owning and keeping a reef tank. I suggest you simply do more research and work it out, you can get there if you want to bad enough.

If you want to save money on rock then use dried out real ocean reef formed rock. That is as inexpensive as it is going to get and be a rock that will not leach out things that do not belong in a reef tank water system. You can not have ANY metals in a reef tank being leached out. Then you must do something to cause that rock to become LIVE rock. It has to be safe rock and then it is not about the rock, it is about the bacteria in the rock. You can do what Ted did, but be ready to cure your rock.. as I'm sure Ted had to do.

I paid about $7 per pound for my LR. I started out with $150 worth and added as I could. Now my 95 gal has about 100 pounds of rock and lots more live rock rubble in my refugium and I run a live rock reactor with a couple of pounds in it. However, some people DO buy dried out rock and add a few pounds of LR to start the culture. BUT, realize that takes time! This whole hobby is about time.

Here is the grip. Live Rock is what this whole reef tank thing is about. It is the basics for the whole eco system. It is not just for looks, it IS the reef in a reef tank. You can keep salt water fish but you can not have a reef tank without a reef. ;) ;)

Last edited:
OK, I am not the OP but I have a question (my first one on here.) How long does it take for the dry rock to become live rock if it is placed in a well established tank? And how much of a problem for the tank to then remove that rock to have it moved to another tank?

The reason I am asking is this... I have a 55 gallon tank with African Cichlids which I have had running for about 3 years now. I really enjoy the fish keeping and I want to move towards saltwater now. What got me really wanting saltwater was seeing a Porcupine Puffer and how responsive and expressive they seemed to be. So I started researching them and found that they are not reef safe, not a problem since I was doing it for the fish and not the reef. (I know... I said that on here...) BUT... The more I kept looking into saltwater the more I started to really like the looks of the reef aquariums.

So now I am looking into a reef tank. I think I have found the tank I want to use which is a 75 gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump which would be used for a skimmer, live rock and a refugium. Of course I want the live rock up in the display tank first, and the rock in the sump would be good for keeping the water stable. So I may be picking up the tanks this weekend but it would be after Thanksgiving before I could get everything setup.

So, after all that, I'll get back to my questions in the first paragraph. How long does it take for the dry rock to become live rock if it is placed in a well established tank? And how much of a problem for the tank to then remove that rock to have it moved to another tank?

Since I know that I want reef tank now and I am getting closer to actually setting it all up, what if I bought some dry rock now, and had a friend with a reef tank, or met a new friend with a reef tank, and put that rock into his established environment. How long would it take for it to "become" live rock and have enough life in it to be moved into another tank?

Additionally, since I know that the new live rock would start changing the filtration of my fiends tank, would there be any issues in removing that rock once it was established as long as his bio-load did not change? (i.e. no new fish added to the environment.) I would not want to impact anyone's tank by trying something like this.

I just thought it would be kind of like getting the filter floss from a friends fresh water established tank to kick start your tank.

Tim Sapp

OK, I am not the OP but I have a question (my first one on here.) How long does it take for the dry rock to become live rock if it is placed in a well established tank? And how much of a problem for the tank to then remove that rock to have it moved to another tank?

The reason I am asking is this... I have a 55 gallon tank with African Cichlids which I have had running for about 3 years now. I really enjoy the fish keeping and I want to move towards saltwater now. What got me really wanting saltwater was seeing a Porcupine Puffer and how responsive and expressive they seemed to be. So I started researching them and found that they are not reef safe, not a problem since I was doing it for the fish and not the reef. (I know... I said that on here...) BUT... The more I kept looking into saltwater the more I started to really like the looks of the reef aquariums.

So now I am looking into a reef tank. I think I have found the tank I want to use which is a 75 gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump which would be used for a skimmer, live rock and a refugium. Of course I want the live rock up in the display tank first, and the rock in the sump would be good for keeping the water stable. So I may be picking up the tanks this weekend but it would be after Thanksgiving before I could get everything setup.

So, after all that, I'll get back to my questions in the first paragraph. How long does it take for the dry rock to become live rock if it is placed in a well established tank? And how much of a problem for the tank to then remove that rock to have it moved to another tank?

Since I know that I want reef tank now and I am getting closer to actually setting it all up, what if I bought some dry rock now, and had a friend with a reef tank, or met a new friend with a reef tank, and put that rock into his established environment. How long would it take for it to "become" live rock and have enough life in it to be moved into another tank?

Additionally, since I know that the new live rock would start changing the filtration of my fiends tank, would there be any issues in removing that rock once it was established as long as his bio-load did not change? (i.e. no new fish added to the environment.) I would not want to impact anyone's tank by trying something like this.

I just thought it would be kind of like getting the filter floss from a friends fresh water established tank to kick start your tank.

Tim Sapp

Welcome - and you'll love a reef tank, only downside is its addictive quality!

Dry rock takes a few weeks to become live, and since you need to cycle your tank anyway, then I think you are fine starting with mostly dry rock and adding a few live rocks. But I'd caution you from either using rock from your friends tank or seeding dry rock in your friends tank. I can't tell you the number of stories I've heard about people who have picked up pests that way and then spend an extraordinary amount of time and frustration battling problems. I think you are probably better off finding a good LFS (probably not petco as they tend to use lava rock and not ocean rock) and buying a few lbs of rock from them to get you started along with dry rock. You'll want to aim for 1-2lbs per gallon for your DT. You can put some of that in your sump, but you still want a good amount in your main tank as it will provide space for your fish to establish territory, hide, and sleep, as well as places to mount coral at various heights in your tank :)

Also, just to clarify, are you planning on using your chiclid tank? If so, have you ever used any medications in that tank? Medications, particularly copper-based medications can leach into the rocks and under the seals, and is deadly for a reef tank. I personally wouldn't reuse the rock in there for a salt water tank since all sorts of fresh water stuff could have gotten into the rock, and 6 months from now it could contribute to all sorts of water quality and algae problems! As long as you've never used copper in the tank, then it should be fine to reuse, just wash it out really well with vinegar and water!

In saltwater, the best thing you can do is research, research, research. Its not a cheap hobby - be prepared - but IME, the better quality equipment you get up front and the more you do to get yourself started on the right foot rather than taking short cuts, the easier time, fewer problems, and more fun you will have in the hobby! I would say the first 4 months were the most time consuming for me, but now things run very smoothly. Check out the stickies and articles sections of this site - the info is invaluable! People here are pretty welcoming and will happily point you in the right direction, celebrate successes, and grieve the inevitable losses (hopefully few). So ask away!

And to the OP: Paste, in addition to what others have said, I wouldn't recommend getting your own rock directly out of the ocean unless you plan on bleaching, drying, and recuring it. Its going to have all sorts of stuff on it - some good, but more than likely you'll also pick up some not so good pests...

Welcome - and you'll love a reef tank, only downside is its addictive quality!

Dry rock takes a few weeks to become live, and since you need to cycle your tank anyway, then I think you are fine starting with mostly dry rock and adding a few live rocks. But I'd caution you from either using rock from your friends tank or seeding dry rock in your friends tank. I can't tell you the number of stories I've heard about people who have picked up pests that way and then spend an extraordinary amount of time and frustration battling problems. I think you are probably better off finding a good LFS (probably not petco as they tend to use lava rock and not ocean rock) and buying a few lbs of rock from them to get you started along with dry rock. You'll want to aim for 1-2lbs per gallon for your DT. You can put some of that in your sump, but you still want a good amount in your main tank as it will provide space for your fish to establish territory, hide, and sleep, as well as places to mount coral at various heights in your tank :)

Also, just to clarify, are you planning on using your chiclid tank? If so, have you ever used any medications in that tank? Medications, particularly copper-based medications can leach into the rocks and under the seals, and is deadly for a reef tank. I personally wouldn't reuse the rock in there for a salt water tank since all sorts of fresh water stuff could have gotten into the rock, and 6 months from now it could contribute to all sorts of water quality and algae problems! As long as you've never used copper in the tank, then it should be fine to reuse, just wash it out really well with vinegar and water!

In saltwater, the best thing you can do is research, research, research. Its not a cheap hobby - be prepared - but IME, the better quality equipment you get up front and the more you do to get yourself started on the right foot rather than taking short cuts, the easier time, fewer problems, and more fun you will have in the hobby! I would say the first 4 months were the most time consuming for me, but now things run very smoothly. Check out the stickies and articles sections of this site - the info is invaluable! People here are pretty welcoming and will happily point you in the right direction, celebrate successes, and grieve the inevitable losses (hopefully few). So ask away!

And to the OP: Paste, in addition to what others have said, I wouldn't recommend getting your own rock directly out of the ocean unless you plan on bleaching, drying, and recuring it. Its going to have all sorts of stuff on it - some good, but more than likely you'll also pick up some not so good pests...

Nope, I am going to keep the freshwater tank the way it is and not move it to saltwater. But thanks, its good to know that meds from that tank could cause problems. Fortunately I have nothing from that tank that I was going to use in the new one.

Thanks for the advice on the rock seeding question. I have seen the same thing in freshwater where someone did get the filter floss from a friend and then ended up getting a parasitical worm infestation from it. Good advice, thanks!

Tim

Back