live rock questions

baeya

Aquarium Addict
I'm starting an Evolve2 saltwater tank. It has been cycling with live sand (about 1 1/2 inch) and a piece of live rock.

The first thing I noticed on my rock was something that looked like a miniscule anenome but, I'm sure its not. I will try to upload a picture. Then I thought it got eaten by some slug/snail looking things, so I took them out and smooshed them.....

I've turned the rock a few times and today I saw the thing I'm not sure of again....
I also see bristle worms and some tiny long thin white things with what looks like 'dusters' on the ends. I think those might be aipstasia and not good....

IMG_04102.jpg

I think I may have posted this in the wrong section......sorry.
But, does anyone know what it is?

Are they soft or hard? If they are hard, they are dead coral skeletons. If they are soft, they appear to be bleached hairy mushroom corals.

I really don't know what it is, but from your description it sounds like it's moving???
If so, maybe a sea cucumber?
In the pic it looks almost like a dead brain coral skeleton, but it wouldn't be moving if it was.

The other things sound like feather dusters, but can't tell you without a pic.
And if you had a "slug" or snail without a shell, those are fine. They are Stomatella snails.

I really don't know what it is, but from your description it sounds like it's moving???
If so, maybe a sea cucumber?
In the pic it looks almost like a dead brain coral skeleton, but it wouldn't be moving if it was.

The other things sound like feather dusters, but can't tell you without a pic.
And if you had a "slug" or snail without a shell, those are fine. They are Stomatella snails.

The slug looking thing did have a shell. I'm going to try and touch the other thing with something plastic. It's not moving around the rock but, I'm not sure if it is hard or soft. I will check...

Okay....I touched the thing in the first picture and it is hard, so I guess it's a skeleton. Thank you for that. I did find another slug looking thing in there and will try to get a picture. The long white string looking thing (like dental floss?) do have hairy ends that swoosh around, so I'm thinking they are feather dusters.....
I will try and get some pictures. I know I have a super macro on my camera but, can't find it at the moment.

Thank you for the fast comments!

Back