Live rock vs cultured live rock???

Hummm, I find ispf's responce to have been misleading and vauge at best. Common sense tell's us that at one point in time all land was underwater. Didn't really try to hard to avoid the questions at all. But was fast to point out another company to refer the writer to use. In other words, If you don't like us, go buy your product from this guy instead.

Garf is IMO a really good company. I see why he would refer her to them, give her someone else to get her off his back. Hopefully she'll see they are better & leave me alone. But then I may have read to much into his responce too?? Either way I like Garf, but I never bought anything from them or ispf either.

I guess I'm lucky, we have a local reefer who make's his own Rock. I have some of it too, along with my LR. And I plan on buying some more from him, I could use more in my system. He makes awesome designs and sells it so cheap to us I'd be retarded not to buy it. Heck he'll even trade it for coral frags!! He sold a 38 lb Rock to my friend for $36. That's less than $1 per lbs. He weights it and then says I'd like this much or will trade it for this or that. I have roughly 40 pounds of it from him and you can't tell the differenace from it and the LR from the LFS.

ISPF does not sell rock and had no financial interest in answering my question. I asked his opinion about the practice and he offered a different look at this issue. IMHO he was kind-hearted and honest to the best of his knowledge. I asked him if he knew of an environmentally conscious company that offered rock and he gave me the name of GARF. To the best of my knowledge he has no financial interest in GARF nor does he know the person that owns the company. Even if he did know these people, I asked him for the name he didn't force me to write and ask him for the referral. You are very lucky to have a source for your aquarium! Maybe your guy can offer stuff online? Here in the Wisconsin North Woods I'm not yet able to find such a resource.

Catherine

Alexander (on this forum) knows the guy that runs GARF (Leroy). I believe Alexander has even been to his house to check out his setup.

im glad GARF was mentioned

on their site is full instructions on how to make your own rock, cure it then seed it

plus you can make it in the shapes you want for aquascaping

im actually surprised GARF isnt mentioned more since their whole objetive is to have a reef tank that has nothing in it that was harvested from the wild. IMHO they have an awesome site and are very knowledgeable

ive talked to Leroy several times, and he is always willing to have a 15 minute chat about your tank and has been reef keeping since the 70's

it is a little bit disorganized but its all there

just look under the Bullet Proof Reef folder

I also talked to Leroy and he said a plenum is not required

i have been following "the Recipe" found under the bullet proof reef on my second build and it been working awesome. The GARF grunge was a little messy but it did what it was supposed to do.

One of the great things about LR that was cultured in the ocean (hopefully in an environmentally friendly way) is all the interesting hitchhikers that come in the rock. I've had many clams. corals, worms, starfish, 3 colors of Coraline, feather dusters etc. We've found the hitchhikers to be as interesting as the fish. And yes you can get undesirable hitchhikers too! Keep in mind, the LR doesn't have to be out of the water for long before everything on it starts dying. I've taken some of my Coraline out of the water for more than a few minutes and it died.

This article about LR explains why putting LR in your tank does not necessarily have to cause a cycle.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/filterselection/a/aa111901_2.htm

ISPF does not sell rock and had no financial interest in answering my question. I asked his opinion about the practice and he offered a different look at this issue. IMHO he was kind-hearted and honest to the best of his knowledge. I asked him if he knew of an environmentally conscious company that offered rock and he gave me the name of GARF. To the best of my knowledge he has no financial interest in GARF nor does he know the person that owns the company. Even if he did know these people, I asked him for the name he didn't force me to write and ask him for the referral. You are very lucky to have a source for your aquarium! Maybe your guy can offer stuff online? Here in the Wisconsin North Woods I'm not yet able to find such a resource.

Catherine

Picasso, I am truely sorry. I misunderstood your earlyer post and took it way out line. I spouted off when I should not have, I'm really sorry about that, and I take back my thought's and opinions. :sad:

No apology necessary. I'm glad you pointed out my miscommunication so I could set it right. Sometimes it's hard to know know how to take posts because you can't hear the tone of voice when someone writes stuff. Your thoughts and opinions are welcome anytime.

Catherine

Back