Live sand

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
Heres the thing, I've never really been convinced there is much life in my sand. Sounds stupid I know, but everyone talks about finding all these amazing little critters at night, and me, not once since the cycle. Ever. Can it be possible? Also, when I do the sand for the 180, is any once better than another? I want very white sand, I have three 22lbs bags of black stuff, but I've yet to find decent pics of anyone who has a black sandbed, so its going in the sump.

Got my sand for the 165 from 2Dr's. Cheapest place and shipping was cheap. Went with the Argomax oolitic sand. We love it and it is very white. You can see it in my gallery. Most people I hear from say the live sand you buy in bags is a big waste of money. Do you know anyone you can get a cup or two of live sand from their tank? That may be best. If you dont I would just get a small bag of the "live sand" and add it to the white sand of your choice. Also, their is probably more life in your sand than you think. I know because I felt the same way about mine. I would still add a cup or two of your sand to the new tank. At least in the sump.

I don't see copepods or other small life forms in my sand either. The sand bed is loaded with aerobic bacteria. Those are microscopic in size, so you're never going to see them.

Try looking at the bottom glass of your tank.You'll probably see a lot of what looks worm tracks.
But you dont get those from a bag of so called"live sand".Like others have said,get the depth you want from dry aragonite then seed it with a cup or 2 from an established system.

Back