Live sand

dusterdan

Reefing newb
I was wondering what people's thoughts are on live sand. I am/will be setting up a 29 gallon tank. I have heard many people talking about live sand. Here's what I have on my list to buy so far.

Prizm protein skimmer
Aquafuge refugium with refuigium mud
drs foster and smith's wavemaker system
of course a heater
digital thermometer
45 pounds of fiji live rock

I have already bought a metal halide lighting setup that with the power compacts with give 247 watts of power. The medal halide is 175 watts by itself. Anyway getting back to my question, do I need live sand or is argonite just fine for my setup? I also would like to know what test kits you all use and like. What items do you all test for? I have heard of people not testing anything, others test ph,calcium,hardness,akaline,etc. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Dan

use both.The live sand will seed the argonite sand.I test for pH,calcium,hardness,akaline,nitrite,nitrate,and phosphates.I like seachem products.I also have an amonia badge that constaly checks for amonia.At fist could use some quick dip test for nitrite,nitrate,and PH.Look for the badge it save you time and give a constant reading

Last edited:
My first tank had a prizm protein skimmer and i hated it every single day.

I would suggest a Seaclone instead even though some people dislike those as well.

As far as the sand goes I just used regular substrate an then put live rock, but if you don't have plans for LR then I would also recommend what Mini did.

Good luck and keep us posted.

also check out the articles forum, there are some articles there that will help you come up to speed on what a sand bed is and on testing questions and on water parameter questions. hope this helps.

The coralife superskimmer is said to offer great bang for the buck and can be used hob or in sump. I haven't heard anything but good reviews. I have one and should be able to give my review within the next couple weeks.

Thanks for the help, has anybody heard anything about the coralife skimmers, are they good? I haven't bought anything yet and if the Prizm skimmer is a piece of junk, then I'm not going to buy it. In fact the LFS has the coralife's on sale this month. I did have one other question as far as salt is concerned. I have seen regular sea salt available and I have seen reef salt, what do you all use as far as salt is concerned.

I have prism skimmer($75) and it is pretty good.It was a pain to get working right though.Depending on your budget Cpr bak pak(about $128) and Remora AquaC (about $167) are really good skimmers for a small tanks.I might be switching one of them pretty soon.
I have to get the funds aproved by the reef blocker(the wife).
added note The coralife superskimmer looks like a nice skimmer.I read some good reviews for it and at $90 for the 65 might be a great deal. nguay lets us know if this skimmers is a good pice of equipment

Last edited:
I have 2 prism skimmers, 2 seaclones , 1 agreesor skimmer and a euro-reef skimmer. They all suck compared to the euro-reef, they are expensive, find on on ebay if you have a sump and you will never be sorry.

Back