long nose hawkfish

reefnoob

Reefing newb
So I've been researching about these guys, they look pretty cool. And it seems like they are coral safe, but they will eat crabs and shrimps. Is this correct? What about snails? Nothing comes up regarding them and snails. And also, when would I be able to add it to the tank? Near the end of the stock list? Live aquaria lists it as semi-aggressive.

I have zero experience with the long nose but I do have a falco hawkfish. Mine will not mess with cleaner or fire shrimp or snails. The only time it goes after hermits is right after introducing new ones. It will grab them by the legs and beat the shell against the rocks until it pulls it out. After two or three he is done with them. As far as aggression hawkfish are mostly rock dwellers so there could be some squabbles between blennies or gobies.

Do you think it would be more docile towards the other fish if it is added last? And did yours have trouble eating when you first got it?

Honestly, I have never had any problems with mine bothering any fish. Putting more aggressive fish in last certainly helps curve some of the aggression. Mine ate right away and they are very hardy. I bought him about 5 years ago.

Longnose Hawks seem to prefer smaller prey than most of the shrimp hobbyist keep.
Seems like they'd rather pick off pods then anything, especially when the hawk is small.
And usually doesn't have a problem with other fish. Unless of course you keep large predatory fish, in which case the Longnose may become an expensive snack.

I debated between a longnose and a spotted hawkfish. They look much the same except for the long snout.

I ended up going with the spotted hawkfish and had him for six months. Last week I had to catch him and sell him to the LFS...it was sad but there were a number of issues. He was aggressive towards everything in the tank except my watchman goby which would put him in his place. He decimated my snail population (I don't have crabs) especially the narsicuss snails. I had 30 when I put him in and none when I took him out. He was always fat and loved to eat and really cool to look at but I decided to go a different direction with the lifestock and had to trade him in. I hope he found a good home.

Anyway, I don't know how closely related the spotted and longnose are...I just know they look a lot alike. If the longnose has the same taste for snails and aggression issues, though, I'd steer clear personally....but every fish is different.

This is our Longnose Hawkfish, we've had him since August. He is so awesome! Never has bothered any fish or coral. He may have eaten some of our tiny crabs and nassarius snails (we haven't personally seen him do it though), but hasn't bothered our turbo snails, astrea snails or big hermits. :)
224584_372271402851129_2023659813_n.jpg

Longnose Hawks seem to prefer smaller prey than most of the shrimp hobbyist keep.
Seems like they'd rather pick off pods then anything, especially when the hawk is small.
And usually doesn't have a problem with other fish. Unless of course you keep large predatory fish, in which case the Longnose may become an expensive snack.

I've been reading and some people say that the fish will pick up the cleaner shrimp and smash it against rocks until it is in bite sized pieces, then it will eat the shrimp.

I've been reading and some people say that the fish will pick up the cleaner shrimp and smash it against rocks until it is in bite sized pieces, then it will eat the shrimp.

Wow that sounds gruesome lol! :shock: We put a Peppermint Shrimp in there almost 2 mo ago and as far as I know we still have it lol. Really want to get a Cleaner Shrimp.. but kinda iffy seeing how they cost around 30 bucks lol

Wow that sounds gruesome lol! :shock: We put a Peppermint Shrimp in there almost 2 mo ago and as far as I know we still have it lol. Really want to get a Cleaner Shrimp.. but kinda iffy seeing how they cost around 30 bucks lol

I'm also thinking about the Cleaner Shrimp, worth the 30$ in my opinion :p

Back