Long Spined Urchin reef safe?

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
Hey guys, I just yesterday got 2 Long Spinned Sea Urchins from a friend who is getting out of the hobby. I want to do a reef tank with coral at some point in the next 6 months. A lot of sites say that those urchins are reef safe but then the customer reviews say that the urchins will eat the coral or kill soft coral with their spines. Has anybody had these experiences? Is there a way to avoid them? Thanks guys!

Casey

From everything I have heard and seen for the mostpart yes, they will eat your coraline algae, and occasionally knock over a coral or two.. I have heard that some have gotten a taste for sps corals, and one friend was telling me that his was munching on his zoas... But that was only a couple instances most said, and from what I have read theirs are model citizens...

The larger issue with these guys is that they get so large

I have a 90 gal tank, do you think that will be big enough in the long run? These guys are about 3 years old from what my friends said and they are probably about 8 inches at the longest point (from spine to spine). Do you think I will have issues? I have heard they are great for algae and they look really cool but I don't want to keep them if they aren't going to be happy in my tank.

Casey

PS I'll try and get a picture up so you guys can see them.

ive never dont this myself, but i have heard of people using fingernail clippers. But be careful, you dont want to stab yourself with one of their spines.

I have two long spine urchins, 1 in my 60g (soon to move to my 180) and another smaller one in my 36g (that will be moved to the 60 60 soon and then later to the 180). The do get big. Mine have given themselves "haircuts" just by breaking off the longer thin tips of their spines on rocks while moving around the tank. I have not had any problem with mine two bothering any of my corals.

Back