Long time issues...

Well i did a 4 day blackout, 2 water changes and treated the tank twice with red slime remover and my tank never looked better. Everything looks clean!! All corals are still doing pretty well. I just hope it doesnt all come back again!

Still having trouble getting my proetin skimmer going again...its got an excessive amount of bubbles and just wants to skim lots of watery foam...is this b/c of the consistency of the water right now with some of the red slime remover chemicals in it? Not sure what to do.

How can i get coraline to grow on my rocks?

white is for coral growth, blue is for coral sexiness :) I have three blues to one white, things grow slower but im content with it.

Tropic Marine Bio calcium will grow purple coraline like crazy.
Try it you'll be impressed I've seen it grow purple coraline with just a standard flourescent bulb.

Coral growth is based on UV spectrum not the color of the bulb if you leave you're blue lights on 24 hours it will kill your corals they respond to blue as well as white you just don't have the same amount of lumens (measure of light) as you do when all bulbs are on

If there (moon lights) not meant for coral growth you should be fine. Do you have any corals that feed at night? Look at them do they extend feeding tentacles.

Or if u have fish only. Fish don't care

Do you have anything in your tank such as urchins or emerald crabs that could be eating coraline and keeping it from spreading rapidly? In some tanks it grows fast and in others it doesn't. If you don't have anything eating it then just give it time and it will grow.

I want coraline b/c i think it's pretty. My rocks look ugly they're just green and brown and white. I love the purples and pinks. I have 2 emerald crabs but that is just to keep a light bout of green hair algae at bay.

So I treated with red slime remover, did 2 days blackout and a water change, another treament followed by 2 more days black out and a water change. Pretty much all red slime was gone except one little spot. So I treated again but left hte lights on normally, did a water change and treated again. Still have two spots of red alage on the sand. See I told you it just wont go away. I dont' know what else to do. I am going to continue to do water changes once a week (instead of once every two weeks) like i was. However, I am at loss for how to fix this. I also stopped dosing any chemicals, so there isnt much left to do differently i guess.

Emerald crabs don't eat coraline in my experience (but urchins sure do). Make sure you have some rock with coraline algae already to seed your rock. if you have a well covered rock - take a knife and scrap away an area so that you get some of the algae in the water column. Your growth will be slow at first but don't get frustrated. Took me several months to really get coraline going in my tank - now i have to scrap it off the glass regularly.

As for the red algae spots - can you post a photo. try physically removing the sand where the spots are and washing it out in bucket. Make sure you don't have any "algae" (or cyano) on your rockwork.

You may want to increase the flow over your sand and get a conch (which will keep moving in your substrate).

Also, what is the source of the water you are changing with? If the red stuff is cyano - there may be some dissolved nutrient/carbon source feeding it.

Noy,

I have posted pictures and already answered most of what you asked me if you read the beginning posts. I have two rocks that had great coraline when I bought them...it has dwindled away. And how it took you several months to get coraline..well my tank has been up a year and a half. So, I expect a lot more coraline by now. The conch sounds like a good idea.

back to testing for Alkalinity.

If your Alk is not in spec the rest: Cal, Purple up, ect will be of no help.
Coralline likes higher Alk & Cal levels I think.

Your weekly water changes should be keeping things in pretty good condition however.

And if all of your coralline died off then it will not grow back. gotta have some still in there.

Ulta,

I am going to the fishstore on April 9th (theyre having a big sale) and I hope to buy a test kit with alk, mag and cal. Then i'll check back on here and let you know what they all turn out to be. I have tried Kent purple tech which is probably the same thing as purple up and yea it didnt do anything.

I still have coraline, it has not all died off. It's just only on the glass and just a tiny bit on two rocks. So it's in my tank, i just want it all over my rocks! Thank you for your comments.

Michelle, you might have already answered this but are you running a GFO reactor? If not you might want to try that and see if it helps at all. I set one up recently and after running it for a month it has made a big difference. You might also try adjusting your powerheads to add a little more flow in the few places that still seem to have the red slime and see if that makes any sort of difference. I know both of these things have made a difference for me.

Also add a few turbo snails - they are great for green hair algae. Noy, I have watched my emeralds eat the coraline. Frankly they are more of a pain then they are worth having in my tank. I'd choose snails over emeralds any day.

FishyReef,

Yes I have a GFO reactor. And yes I have powerheads galore in my tank, including hitting right on the sand. I have tried turbo snails, i bought about 10 of them about a month or two ago and guess what? i only have one left...all the others died. Thanks for trying.

Back