Lookin for some opinions

NcStateFisher

Reefing newb
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I have 1 year of saltwater experience (started last june) but currently only have a 10 gallon nano reef running with 1 ocellaris clown and a young blue spotted watchman. At one point I had a 46 bowfront saltwater but sold it when I got a good offer. I'm in the process of selling my 90g freshwater tank and am trying to decide between two tanks to become my new focus.

The first is an interesting shaped tank from when I was a kid. It needs a reseal but other than that is in pretty good shape. It's roughly 30 gallons, it's 36" in the back and in the front it is 30". It is kind of like a trapezoid shape, definitely unique and I feel like it would look really nice as a saltwater tank. The only issue with this tank is that the way the sides are I am worried it would be difficult to get a HOB protein skimmer on it with the light taking up the back side and not leaving any room. This could be solved by getting a 30" fixture and hanging it but I'd rather avoid that if at all possible. Stock would be mostly cheapo weed corals with a bicolor angel and a couple other smaller fish, potentially a longnose hawk some kind of goby/blenny and an orchid dottyback.

My second option is a standard 55g that I have. Doesn't need a reseal which is a plus and I wouldn't have the issue with the light fixture/skimmer clashing for space. Also opens up the stocking possibilities quite a bit, would still be weed corals but the fish stock would most likely include one of the smaller tangs (yellow eye kole or a tomini).

The cost isn't really the issue, it's only about $100-150 difference the way i've got it factored out.. I plan to use dry rock and cycle with extra rock pieces from my 10 gallon for a quick cycle. I'm looking at the odyssea 4 bulb light fixtures but am also considering the coralife or aquaticlife 2 bulb t5s.

Basically I just want to see people's opinions on which tank they would go with and why. Also if you would like to give input on the powerheads you would use. Thinking the smaller tank I could get by with one koralia evolution 750 and the 55 would probably take two of those.

Benefits of the 30:
Takes up less space (live in an apartment)
Unique looking
Smaller waterchanges

Benefits of the 55:
Provides a lot more options for stocking
No Reseal required

Thanks to anybody on here who took the time to read and respond to this novel! :bounce:

I would go with the 55. It's easy to find 48" lights (you would need at least 4 bulbs of T5 for it). Plus, like you said, you can have more fish (although you are really pushing it with any tang in a 55 -- that is probably not the best idea). And it's probably easier to aquascape (with rock) than an oddly shaped, smaller tank. Two powerheads in the 55 would be fine.

Corner tanks are georgeous, but as it was already said its easier to aquascape and light the 55. Plus you dont have to reseal it.

Id say set up the 55, but hold on to the other one if you can for future use, you never know.

Last edited:
I would also sugguest the 55, as it will be easier to light for corals.

Sorry to burst your stocking bubble, but no tang belongs in a 55....

gotcha thanks for the input guys. i'm aware that when the kole got bigger I would have to rehome it but I figured if I got a little one in the 2" range I would be able to keep it until it hit about 4". If I didn't do any tangs what would you guys personally stock it with? always nice to gather opinions

Three things on rehoming the tang...

1. Its really hard to get a fish out of a tank, its stressful for you and the fish. So only plan on putting in fish that you want to stay in there forever.

2. Its really sad giving away a fish that has been your pet, especially if you dont know if they are going to a good home or not.

3. The really small fish (unless their full size is really small) often dont make it because they are require a lot of food and support to make it through the juvi phase, and few tanks can provide that.

But there are tons of great fish that can live a long (10+ years) and happy lives in a 55
dwarf angels: Dwarf Angelfish: Flame Angelfish and other Dwarf Angels
gobies: Gobies for Sale: Goby Fish Species Including Shrimp Gobies
blennies: Blennies: Blenny Fish Species Including Bicolor, Striped and other Blennies
clowns: Clownfish for Sale: Clownfish Species for the Home Aquarium
dottybacks: Pseudochromis for Sale: Splendid Dottyback Species and other Pseudochromis
dartfish: Dartfish
cardinals: Cardinalfish
wrasses: Wrasse Fish for Sale: Cleaner Wrasse and other Reef Safe Wrasse Species

and more!! The hard part will be choosing which ones you want!

gotcha thanks for the input guys. i'm aware that when the kole got bigger I would have to rehome it but I figured if I got a little one in the 2" range I would be able to keep it until it hit about 4". If I didn't do any tangs what would you guys personally stock it with? always nice to gather opinions

Look into wrasses, there are all kinds of wrasses that will make very colorful, active additions to a 55

I'd also like to add that after having to pull two fish out of my 180, I'm not taking any chances with stocking in the future. Pulling a fish out of a tank with 50+ pounds of rock for it to hide in is a NIGHTMARE

Last edited:
+1 little_fish

I just went thru that to catch a fish in my 60g that I needed to move to my 180g. It required taking all the live rock out to catch him. Stressed out him and all the other fish in the 60g too. I will never, ever go thru that again. Get fish based on the tank you have now, NOT a tank you may have in the future or a fish you'll have to rehome later. It is NOT WORTH IT. :D

What about using the 30g as a sump underneath the 50g? Or as Navy guy said, setting up your 90? If you set up the 90 (and used the 30g as a sump), then you could get add a kole or tomini tang to your stocking list!

Also, if you think at some point that you might want to add something other than cheapo weed corals or if you want fun inverts like cleaner shrimp, then I'd recommend staying away from the hawkfish and maybe think about getting a different dwarf angel than the bicolor (flames and coral beauties are both nice and tend to be better behaved in reef tanks than bicolors)!

yeah i'm not a huge invert guy, i'd rather have the hawkfish than shrimp. and i know the bicolor will chomp corals thats why all that would really be in there would be GSP/snowflake anthelia/button polyps basically things that people try to give away anyways so if he eats it all so be it, they're just my favorite of the more affordable dwarf angels, though if i went more expensive i really enjoy the look of potters angels

The potters is one of the most difficult fish to keep, they rarely adjust to tank life. The few that have known to make it in captivity have lived in huge tanks with lots of rock work.

The potters is one of the most difficult fish to keep, they rarely adjust to tank life. The few that have known to make it in captivity have lived in huge tanks with lots of rock work.

+2 - 100 gallons plus with oodles of rock. I had mine for ~2 years, I just lost it this week. It is hands down my favorite fish in this hobby (Achilles Tang is a close second) but I do not think I will be trying another one

yeah i won't be messing with attempting that lol. as soon as this 90 gallon gets sold I can start getting the materials for this 55. woulda had it sold today but apparently a few hours when I was at work was too long to wait for a return email. such is life without a smart phone

Back