looking 4 t5

There are several people that have them on this site. I think they have fixed all their problems. I'm sure they will chime in about them.

I've been contemplating getting one myself, but don't even have THAT much money right money. Nonetheless...if you hate 'em you could always sell them to some newb on Craigslist and they will think they are getting some sick deal...not the nicest thing in the world, but it is a back plan :?

I have the 150 watt mh with t-5 combo from them and I love it. Also have a compact on my hob fuge that is from them also. The fuge, pump and light all from them no complaints there either. The skimmer part isnt the best on the fuge but it is comparable to the cpr bak pak that I did use.

the cheapest way i have figured to do it, is to build your own canopy, and install your own ballasts and bulbs, if you dont count your time in the $ equasion, you come out considerably cheaper, and you have a spiffy canopy over your tank to boot...

i can get workhorse 7 ballasts for like $35-$40 each, and they will run 4 of the 54 watt 48 inch bulbs on each ballast...

It's not always cheaper to piece the parts together and build it yourself. It does take a little work. It usually ends up being a better system in the end though.

If you don't have the know-how or the gumption to do the work - then ya gotta pay for a commercially made fixture. They are usually a compromise and you rarely get perfection.

Thats life.

Here are the Workhorse ballasts:
Fulham WH7-120-L Workhorse 7 Electronic Ballast 120V Long Case - ProLighting.com

That will run (4) 54w T5 bulbs - so 220w total output. Get (2) of those ballasts and run (8) bulbs on your 75g tank.

Here's the reflectors you need. You'll need (8) - one for each bulb
IceCap SLR T5 Reflectors by Ice Cap - AquaCave

Here's the sockets. You'll need (8) pairs:
T5 Waterproof Socket End cap 1 Pair by IceCap - AquaCave

Thats only $330 for the parts. Now you need bulbs. Total cost should be around $160-$175 + shipping for the lights. Thats about $500 +/- for a really nice light system.

Or you could just buy it:
Catalina Aquarium

If you call Catalina Aquarium, they will usually give you a better deal than the price listed on the website. I am running one of their light fixtures on my 30g tank. It's the (6) bulb T5 unit with remote control timer and moonlights. Got it for like $220 shipped to my door. I like it. The bulbs are chinese, but they worked for the first year. Can't complain.

I got mine from Catalina.
No issues, going on a year now.
It's the retrofit w/moonlights installed in my canopy. Plug and play.

417480023_Ru3PP-L.jpg

417480047_kCBMX-L.jpg

417480128_4HgRZ-L.jpg

RC, if i were to get my parts from thoes suppliers, then yes, its expensive, but the prices that i'm getting LOCAL are:

ballasts 37.50*2 = $75
bulb ends 2.99*16 = $48
reflectors(making myself outta parts i already have - free) but if you wanted to buy what i'm useing, then figure about $10
bulbs, ok, i cant cut many corners there, local i'm getting them for 15*8 = $120

so thats 120+10+48+75=$253*1.0825(tax) = $274

did i miss something?

I mean dont get me wrong, if you have the $ and or dont have time time, then bought is nice,(if i had money i'd probably buy to save time) but i get a real kick outta "tinkering" and telling people "I made it myself" plus if i can save a few $, and i have the tools and the time, then why not, right?

so just to double check my math, if i go with 8 of the 48" 54W t5's then that would be 432W/75gal = 5.76W/Gal

that would be enough for some zoos and maybe a few other corals, right?

the next question is what bulbs would you put into an 8 bulb rig like that?

2 - 10K
2 - 03 actinics
and what else?

or should i go towards something like thoes higher K bulbs, the 14k or soemthing like that?

I think I would definitely toss in some higher 14ks...but having a bit of a spectrum isn't bad because then you do a more gradual "sunrise/sunset effect" Plus, what would be really cool would be to do some timer scheme where the the lights start turning on one bulb at a time from the back, the when you hit the 14's, have them all come on, but then when you want to start stepping it down, they can start turning off one bulb at a time from the back :shock: THAT WOULD BE DOPE!

I would do something like this:
1-actinic, 1-10k, 4-14k, 1-10k, 1-actinic....but then again, I haven't read much about lighting level arrangements and this may not be how you're supposed to do it, but it sounds cool :lol:

yea, thats definately a thought, i would probably want to space each kind of bulb out a little more evenly tho, and not have all of one kind of bulb clumped together, that way you could get more even coverage.

i already have a 2 stage light timer arrangement, my actinic/white mixed bulbs come on at 11 and stay on till 11, and the 10k all whites that i have now, come on at 12 and go off at 930, adding a 3rd timer isnt any big deal, have you seen the pictures of how i redid my stand and timers?

rather than putting all 8 bulbs on just 2 ballasts, what i could do is use the one big ballast that i have now, and use it to run 4 bulbs on one timer, and then use 2 smaller sepperate ballasts on 2 more timers. then you would have the morning, where the first 2 bulbs would come on, then the other 2 then the 4, and then for the off cycle, have the 4 go off, then the 2nd 2 and then the last 2. in the 2's group i'd have like one white and one actinic i guess, and then the 4 could be the 14k's,

then the rest of the system would be, 1 timer for the "moon lights" so thier not on all day, and 1 more timer for the fuge light, and then there is the possibility of needing 1 more timer for the algal scrubber but i'm not sure about that one, i might just leave thoes on all the time.

thoughts?

Last edited:
holy crap...I totally went back and editted that comment ...must have been just before I left the house and I forgot to click save or something...BURN! Maybe I do need to put donn the pipe...haha.

I was going to say that it sounds good...you're planning to do it the way I was thinking...cool! :lol: As for leaving the fuge and scrubber lights on all the time...I don't have any experience with that stuff so I don't know if that's necessarily detrimental, but it I could see it having some negative effects on the growth process.

well my fuge light stais on 24/7 right now cause i have calurpa in there, and not giving it day/night cycles is supposed to keep it from going into its reproductive processes, when and or if i get rid of that, then i may change the setup...

does anyone actually have any t5 14k's on thier system? likes, dislikes?

Why wouldn't you want your caulerpa to reproduce? Can't you trade that stuff in for a good credit at the LFS?

With 432 watts of T-5 light,you can keep any coral,clam,or anemone that you want and not have to worry about it.

Back