Looking at frags

WarmSoda

Reefing newb
So, I found my states reef club forum and I've been browsing the "for sale" forums, and I found a thread with a guy who's selling ALOT of coral I would LOVE to get my hands on.

I'm just gonna try to post the link to the thread here, but I doubt it'll work.

I was looking at getting...

ORA Cali Tort: x1
Yellow Slimmer: x1
ORA Florescent Birds Nest: x1
Turaki: x1

Can anyone give me any information on these corals?

Those are some beautiful corals he's got! They are SPS corals and are pretty much expert corals which require a very mature tank with very stable water parameters. Lighting must be T5HO or MH. Many of us still can't keep them after over a year of being in the hobby. I would recommend soft corals to start with, but I know from experience, that it's hard to resist those beautiful hard corals!

have to agree with the above, it's better if you wait a while before getting anything like this, chances are they'll die.

What kind of lighting do you have?
Whats your flow rate?
What are your parameters?
These are all expert only corals and require specific conditions. Please answer the above, and give us a general rundown of your system.

Before you start adding a lot of those SPS,You need to think about just how much time you can spend each day on the tank.
You've got to have time for testing,cleaning,dosing,and studing.My 125 gets at least 2-1/2 hours everyday.And thats just for 7 small frags.

Before you start adding a lot of those SPS,You need to think about just how much time you can spend each day on the tank.
You've got to have time for testing,cleaning,dosing,and studing.My 125 gets at least 2-1/2 hours everyday.And thats just for 7 small frags.

Ok, here we go.

Stats
Time: I got plenty of it! Too much, as far as my family is concerned :P
Lighting: Current T5 6 Bulb Fixture
Flow: Two K2's and the return pump which is a Rio 2500 (surprisingly powerful)

Parameters
Calcium: 440ppm
Nitrate: 0 (it's been 0 ever since I added my chaeto about 2 days ago :P)
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: .50 WTF? I just tested this a little while ago, and I had 0. My guess is that the LR I had my shrooms on started a little mini cycle (?)
Alk: 4.5
pH. 7.4 !!!!?? What the hell is going on? I'm so confused. I was testing at 8.4 before? I'm gettin' a little worried...

I'm just finding all of this stuff now. The only thing I added was my shrooms, some chaeto and my CBS

So what are your correct parameters?

I figure that you have at the most 1800 gph, but it's hard to be accurate because you have flow reduction from every inch of plumbing that your return has to flow through. You need a minimum of 30x turnover for SPS, but more depending on which corals you pick. I figure you have 27x at 1800gph which could be enough, but I doubt that you actually have 1800 gph. Depending on how far your return has to travel, I would reccommend one or two more K2's.

Your lighting should be good enough.

as yote said how much time do you want to spend on your aquarium.
another test you may want to do phosphate sps hates phosphates. Your alk is way to low should be at 8. and you will want your calcium between 450 and 500.

You should wait 9 months to a year before adding sps. I would try a plating monti first they are a good beginner sps.

as yote said how much time do you want to spend on your aquarium.
another test you may want to do phosphate sps hates phosphates. Your alk is way to low should be at 8. and you will want your calcium between 450 and 500.

You should wait 9 months to a year before adding sps. I would try a plating monti first they are a good beginner sps.

I didn't specify, sorry. 4.5 is measured in meq/L.

Those corals are really nice. I live maybe 20-25 minutes from clifton and could sell you some sweet zoa frags I have. I have nice looking red eagle eyes and some bright green zoas. They are very easy to take care off and are excellent corals to start out with.

Back