Looking at lighting.

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I'm looking to put a better light on my 40 gallon. Right now I have just a small 96 watt T5 on it. I was looking at either a 156 watt T5 that would give me 3.9 watts per gallon or a 328 watt metal halide that would give me 8.2 watts per gallon. It'd be nice to be able to eventually put anything I want in there so I am leaning toward the MH and I'm pretty sure 8.2 is a good number to have for lighting just about any kind of coral you want. Correct? Also, looking for any kind of recommendations anyone has, T5 or MH.

I vote MH. I think SPS will do much better. Keep in mind it will put off a lot of heat so that may pose challenges depending on your mounting/hanging options. I like the fixtures that have a MH and some supplemental compact flourescents so you can mix it up. I'm not sure about the ideal watts per gallon (more importantly is lumens per gallon but I don't really hear anyone talk about that), however, my guess is 4W per gallon would just be ok, 8 sounds just about right but probably about the max. I'm sure other people can provide more insight on this topic. If you have the funds maybe take a look at LED.

Honestly I'm not sure. Your probaly not going to find anything cheaper, however, if it were me I would def get a MH over those ballasts. I've seen people on this forum who have aqua illuinations ballasts. The controls are sweet. The ballasts are sweet but they are costly. If I were going to purchase LEDs they would have to have the following features:

1) dimmable
2) mutiple colors/wavelength LEDs on the ballast
3) color temperature variability

There are definately some other options for LED. Wait to see what other people have to say.

I'm not looking to go over $200 for any light. If that LED light isn't any better than a MH or T5, I'll get either the T5 for $80 or the MH for $160. Would like to try the LED but don't want to get it if it isn't at least equal to a T5 or MH. Also, not really concerned about little features. As long as it lights stuff up, looks good and helps things grow, it works. Got til Monday to place an order for one so got some time for opinions.

+1 irensing
I have MH on my system with LED's. While I cannot comment on how effective it is on corals I can tell you that I have seen my setup before on another tank and the corals were AMAZING

o yea, if you have a cross brace across the middle of your tank this is probably not a good option unless you raise the tank higher than the feet it comes with. I also blow a small fan across the side where the light shines to help with the heat. you may not have to do this.

I have a 36" tank though. Not sure that will extend that far and if I did hang it, would it light the whole tank considering it's foot shorter than the tank?

I'm not sure I want to put that much light in the tank. I have the extendable ones on my 75 and the one on this 40 is also and they do fine. Unless there is a big advantage over the extendable compared to the advanced?

I have the extendable on my 75 as well, the advanced series is a much better build and construction, I'm going to swap over to it when i can afford it.

I'm going to think it over. There are a couple differences in thw two which might make me get the advanced. That would put 10.15 wpg in my tank though. A little high??

Leaning towards the extendable 328 watter if I go MH. Question is how high off the tank will it need to be? I have limited space above the tank so if I need to go too high, I'll have to go T5.

Back