looking for input on my new build

Meklo

Reefing newb
Hey everyone! I'm new here and so far everyone seems very nice and helpful. I look forward to getting to know some of you. I haven't had a saltwater tank in about 5-6 years and I feel a bit rusty. So, maybe you guys can help calm my nerves?

I have an idea of a tank I want to put together and I hope you will give me your opinions. Honestly, I am not sure it varies much from a lot of the other build threads that I see on various forums. If anyone has any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions on anything I would love to hear them.

I am purely in the research phase and I haven't purchased anything. I want to get a pretty good idea of how I am going to tackle this before I start. Also, living in Alaska makes it a little harder to get somethings cheaply.

-The tank is an oceanic 29 gallon biocube hqi.

-I want to replace the pump with a rio 6hf (I've had success with this brand before and it has a little better flow than the stock pump).

-I plan to use the AquaticLife Skimmer 115. I can't find a better skimmer that will fit.

-I will be using the middle chamber as a refugium. I've thought about buying the fuge basket from InTank, but I am not sure it is necessary at the moment.

-I will also ad a Hydor Koralia 425.

Has anyone ordered live rock from marine depot? They have some for sale that is really cheap and aren't robbing me on the shipping. Most of the reviews are very good. Anyone have experience?

After I get everything setup I am probably going to buy a reefkeeper lite to help control everything (wavemaker, lighting, etc...)

As far as stock goes nothing is written in stone.... I plan to have a small amount of fish. Nothing too big. I won't be cramming a bunch of corals in there either. I like giving them room to grow. In the end though, I would like both lps and sps. Although I plan to limit the sps to only a few pieces. I want to start off slowly before adding anything extremely sensitive. I've never had a nano tank before and I want to get a feel for the setup before I dive into that.

I am looking for a fairly simple setup. I just want to ease into things again and play around. I know that I will upgrade in the future, its inevitable, so I just want to see how things pan out. Anyway, thanks for reading all of this and sharing your ideas.

Thanks, I hope so. I had been lurking for a while before I decided to make an account. Everyone seems very nice.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I've been away from the hobby for too long. I can't wait to get my hands wet. I'll be sure and add some pictures to this thread as I continue.

If you want to order Live rock, I would go with Tampa Bay Saltwater, the only downside it it's kind of expensive.

If you want to order base rock, go with reefsaver from Bulk Reef Supply. It's awesome.

If you want to order Live rock, I would go with Tampa Bay Saltwater, the only downside it it's kind of expensive.

If you want to order base rock, go with reefsaver from Bulk Reef Supply. It's awesome.

I have shopped around for rock but I kept having trouble with the shipping cost. I live in Alaska and the weight of the rock was driving up the prices. I can't remember if I tried BRS or not, but I can check into it. I've never used Marine Depot for rock before, but their prices were dirt cheap. However, there was only three reviews listed (all three were good).

Back