Lost a clownfish after 2 days

Apestyler

Reefing newb
Got home from work to only see one of the clowns up to its usual tricks after a quick inspection behind rocks I unfortunately found one clownfish dead, after kicking the hermits off it (who were eating it eww!) I took a couple of photos to see if you guys can see anything visual it may have died from.

I don't think its water quality as all of my tests seem to checkout. The other clownfish is active and feeding but does seem to be hiding behind a rock alot.

SmallDSCF0081.JPG

DSCF0080.JPG

That sucks ! Where they both the same size.It looks like it was a female already by the size.When clowns are babies they are female/male as they get older they turn into females.I think you might have had two females that boxed and one got stressed out.If you put another one find one that is a lot smaller.I you might get them to pair up.The larger one will pick at the smaller through till they pair up

minireefer said:
That sucks ! Where they both the same size.It looks like it was a female already by the size.When clowns are babies they are female/male as they get older they turn into females.I think you might have had two females that boxed and one got stressed out.If you put another one find one that is a lot smaller.I you might get them to pair up.The larger one will pick at the smaller through till they pair up

That kinda makes sense mate they were both the same size - my girlfriend turned on the lights at the normal time (still need to get timers!) and she said the one that died was swimming on its side.

I'm still worried about the other one ... it seems very timid since the other one died and sticking in a corner behind a rock

Sorry sorry about your loss. Looked like a beauty too. I lost my male that was paired with a female before I got them. I didn't understand what happened either, since they were already paired. I thing she didn't like him in her anemone. I still have the female and other fish in the tank are fine, so I think she just had attitude.

Remember you probably do not know where the clown came from before LFS got it, the stress of shipping and other untold problems could have been the contributing factors. If your other fish don't kick off soon then it was probably an isolated incedent, keep an eye on all your levels and also the other fish.

I agree with chris. if something is wrong with your system your other charges should show sign of something wrong. good luck and sorry for your loss. no opinion based on the pics you posted.

Thanks for your thoughts - I checked on the remaining clown this morning and she seemed fine, towards the end of last night she was very active and feeding well!

I will monitor the levels as usual. How long should I wait until adding a smaller clown in the tank with her as I would really like her to pair and she is now the only fish in the tank.

I Agree with the timing its your choice..Sometimes they will pair off and sometime they wont.The larger will pick at the smaller though(the female trying to be dominate one).

Just a quick update on the clown front ... 'Jenny' is doing really well and actively feeding - I have been trying to get some photos of her but as soon as she sees the camera she starts showing off thinking shes going to be fed so the only pics I get are an Orange blur lol

I have added a cleaner shrimp, 24 turbo snails and 6 more hermits (however one is completely white is this a reef safe varient of the scarlet and blue legged ones?)

Will post some more photos soon!

Awesome on the clown fish, I love it when they get excited about feeding. All of my fish hate me right now since I just moved them all to new tanks. Except my stars and strip puffer, he just lays around unless he is hungery then hey slaps the water at the top of the tank with his tail to get my attention.

minireefer said:
good news on your clown. on the white crab maybe its an Anenome Crab
DSCN0137.thumb.jpg

He's been hiding alot recently but from what I have seen it looks like a normal hermit crab (it has a shell) but just white ... I'll try and get a closer look to see if he matches the picture you provided.

Back