lost leg

Jschoon

Reefing newb
I noticed this morning that my star fish has lost a leg. I do not see it in the tank and I only have three larger things in the tank, a clown fish (tank raised percula) britle star and this star. I have some various snails also. What could have caused this?

Yes, I am working on getting rid of the buble algea...

P8190002.jpg

Well, no stray voltage, nitrates are zero, temp has been constent. I am going to do water changes once a week for a while instead of overy 2 to 3 weeks. Maybe that will help. Other than the leg, the star looks healthy. Everything else seems healthy.

Thanks for the responses and direction.

Hmmm interesting. I doubt it was attacked by something, but that's a possibility if everything else is checking out okay. I think you are on the right track by bumping up water changes -- if everything is fine, then it should grow back.

002.jpg
Hmmm interesting. I doubt it was attacked by something, but that's a possibility if everything else is checking out okay. I think you are on the right track by bumping up water changes -- if everything is fine, then it should grow back.

Sarah, my star has not been on show since being in the tank 6 weeks ago, then today it's out and it has lost 4 legs or part legs, water parameters normal, nitrate 30 mg/l but hoping the introduction of chaeto should remedy this, but what could have caused this amputation?

Last edited:
It's most likely the nitrates. Nitrates seem to be the most common cause of starfish losing their legs. And 30 is very high for inverts -- fatal for sensitive ones.

It will certainly help but, they won't go away overnight. You should try and find the culprit of your high nitrates. Also, weekly water changes will help to lower them also.

It will certainly help but, they won't go away overnight. You should try and find the culprit of your high nitrates. Also, weekly water changes will help to lower them also.
Thanks Brian, I have done weekly water changes since my tank was set up, my tap water is 12.5% before it is converted to RO

Back