Lots of weird things spotted on live rock.

AyeAye

Reefing newb
They are so small a camera can't see them well.

first there are these small 3-6mm tall cylindrical creatures/plant things that eventually pop out satellite dishes towards the light. They close up when I open the top.

then there are these strange feathery looking plants that disappear at the slightest disturbance to the lighting, the tank or my face getting too close. There is a black/reddish/brown one, a transparent white one, and a small red one that lives a in a tiny shell fused to the rock.

then there is this purple layer all over the rock with some parts that glow florescent orange/pinkish red when the blue LED lights are turned on and the room is in complete darkness. (nothing short of cool).

finally there I spotted one or two worm like creatures, semi-transparent/brown in colour approximetly 5-7mm in length.
-----------------------------------------------------

Also...under side of live rock:

There is what I think are two yellow looking sponges (kind of squished under the rock...the rock was semi suspended in the lfs tank.) I don't know how to take care of sponges not sure if they will be ok, the tank hasn't cycled yet. And theres some kind of white looking jelly stretched across a 3 inch area under the rock.

Any ideas what most of this is?

Many Thanks

AyeAye

Sounds like you had some hitchhiker feather dusters and various types of fan worms. They are harmless and filter feeders. They retract back into their worm type body when they are frightened or scared

ok, I have now spotted what looks like a tiny, but visible shrimp looking thing swimming up against the glass. Pest or friend? A baby shrimp?

If it looks like a clear/whitish colored bug, it's an amphipod or copepod. Also another common type of hitch hiker, and free food for your fish. As your tank matures, you will be able to see tons of them, especially crawling on the glass at night.

yeah i'll see about getting some pictures up soon. been busy at work.

I spotted another hitch hiker, looks like a slug and has long antennae. moves around a lot. and spends most of its time around the water rim of the tank close to the heater.

anyone else get slugs with their live rock? is it a pest?

spotted other small see through white insects on the surface of the live rock. they seem to have claimed a cave for them selves and guard the entrance... regularly, i think they take shifts.

Phosphates currently at 0-0.25 Nitrates at 0. Live rock has been in there about a week now and everything on it still alive except the little shrimp dude has disappeared... can I get my fish and inverts now. or is there something else I should wait for? I haven't seen any significant algae growth yet.

AyeAye

You should get some test kits. The basics you will need are pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and alkalinity. If you can't test your water, you don't know if something bad is about to happen. :)

ok here are my results:

Nitrate 0.00
Nitrite 0.00
Phospherous 0.25
Ammonia 0.00
PH 8.00
KH 214+ ppm

I'm concerned about the KH it's results are off my chart. over 12'dkh

I have seen soo many inverts in there now. saw what looked like a millipede last night and a huge slug (now I no why there's no alge). seriously feels like something from the Evolution movie.

ok here are my results:

Nitrate 0.00
Nitrite 0.00
Phospherous 0.25
Ammonia 0.00
PH 8.00
KH 214+ ppm

I'm concerned about the KH it's results are off my chart. over 12'dkh

I have seen soo many inverts in there now. saw what looked like a millipede last night and a huge slug (now I no why there's no alge). seriously feels like something from the Evolution movie.

Did you redo that KH test to see if you got the same result the second time? Make sure you read the instructions carefully. Some of those tests are quite specific about stuff.

This is a great article about calcium and alkalinity Chemistry And The Aquarium: Solving Calcium And Alkalinity Problems — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

I got some pictures now, Can't identify these...

I'll read up on that article, thanks

I thought there would be enough dead matter on the the 7Kg of live rock I got to start any cycle. And the critters are shooting out all kinds of,.. stuff...its sperm right?...

Found a Hitch Hikers article on the forum, reading that too,

Attachments

• _DSC0128.jpg
    _DSC0128.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,061
  • _DSC0132.jpg
    _DSC0132.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 738
  • _DSC0134.jpg
    _DSC0134.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 631
The first pic is an aiptasia, a pest anemone. There are different methods of ridding yourself of them. Kalkwasser paste, boiling water, lemon juice, or sometimes peppermint shrimp will eat them.
I have no idea what is in the second pic, a type of sea slug maybe? Someone else may know.
The third pic is zoanthids, an easy to care for soft coral. Congrats!

The first pic is an aiptasia, a pest anemone.
aw..I liked that thing..

I'll put a peppermint shrimp on my livestock list.thanks.

zoanthids
these things are strange, if they hear a loud sound outside but close to the tank, they tuck themselves in and turn into little stumps. They do the same if I knock the tank even slightly. They are very light sensitive and move their heads to follow the light. They also have glowy yellow rims when the Blue LEDS turn on. (you don't see that for long though as they think its night time and they slowly close up)

It turns out I got an army of amphipods. between 3-10mm. I can't count them.
Amphipods by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com
I can see loads of em scuttle about when I switch to my blue LEDS
Do they cause the occasional sharp ticking sound I hear in the tank?

Back