Lotsa questions

Bassmunky

Reefing newb
Hey Guys, I have a maroon Clown and a Zebra Dartfish, along with snails, crabs, pepp shrimp and a chocolate chip starfish. I wanted some ideas of some reef compatible fish that would be safe and beautiful in my tank. I am about to move to a 45 gal tank so I will have more room soon..I am wide open to any suggestions.

Last edited:
well, as long as you have that chocolate chip starfish your tank isnt reef safe so i wouldnt worry about the fish being reef safe. but to answer your question, basslets and gobies would look cool in your tank

I am planning on returning the CC starfish when I move to the new tank and decide to get them. Will a 2 x 65W (daylight and actinic) compact florescent be enough for the corals. My current tank is 30" long where my new one will be 36" in. long, I will need to rig it up but will it still be enough? I am also considering a sump, is it necessary for a 45gal tank?

Last edited:
the 12k means nothing in the way of light output, that number is just the kelvin of the bulb or what spectrum of light the bulb puts out. what matters, is the wattage and the type of bulb (power compact, t-5, metal halide, etc.)

T5's are awesome lights. What kind of corals do you want to keep is the main question. That will tell us what light will work best.

I was thinking some easy stuff to start... possibly some nice polyps, brain corals maybe a mushroom or two. I am getting a little ahead of myself, but I want to be ready when the time does come.

T5s will allow you to keep anything you want. What you have right now will not be enough light to keep even low light corals.

I have a coralife super skimmer 65. I was thinking about getting a new wet dry filter w/ a sump, so I don't have to hang it off the back. You know what else is funny dcantucson's avitar picture..what is that?

Here you go. For a 36" tank and 45g, I'd get this T5 unit.
Catalina Aquarium

Don't FREAK on the price. All you have to do is CALL them and ask for Jim. He's the owner. Ask him what kind of deal he will sw3ing on a T5 unit with 6 bulbs and 36" long. Get the REMOTE!! It has a built in timer so you can program your actinics, daylights AND moonlights all on 3 different schedules. WORTH EVERY PENNY because you don't need another timer or controller.

I bought THIS for $220 SHIPPED to my front door. It's only 24" long for my 30g tank. But you can see the prices listed on his website are CONSIDERABLY higher than if you call and talk to him. He lists this unit at $440 and I had it sent to my house for about $220 and thats WITH lights.
Catalina Aquarium

He'll swing a deal if you call him.

All this lights have individual reflectors too. Thats a MAJOR thing to look at when buying T5 lights. Any fixture with only 1 giant reflector for all the lights isn't going to put out NEAR the light as a fixture with a reflector for EACH bulb.

DO NOT get a wet/dry. Those things SUCK. All they do is produce nitrates and you DO NOT want a bunch of nitrates in a reef tank.

Go with a refugium instead. Melevsreef.com - Welcome! is a good place to see refugiums. Look at his ACRYLIC pages and look at all the refugiums.

Get a bad ass skimmer. It's the #1 most important piece of equipment in a reef tank. No skimmer - no love.

I am getting pretty confused between the sump and the Refugium. I know what they both do but I am curious as to which is better or more practical. Any advice? Is a sump/Refugium combo a good route?

Back