Lotsa questions

how important is it to have T5's if a metal halide light is involved. Are 2 - 96W (actinic) power compacts good enough with 250W metal halide?

You could get away from the actinics with the right bulb.
Somethink like the Phoenix 14K DE or 20K Radiums for the SE.
I run the 14Ks without the actinics all the time.

Those Ebay lights are Odyssea brand. If you spend a couple hours doing searches about that brand, you'll stay away from them. I've heard of fires being caused by shorted ballasts.

Whats wrong with the Catalina ones I showed you? Just curious.

I am just searchin' for the best prices I can find, in addition to information about the other options I may have. I actually found this on Catalina and if I can get the price lowered to around $200 it sounds like a good option. I don't really need the remote because I already have the coralife power center timers.

Those Ebay lights are Odyssea brand. If you spend a couple hours doing searches about that brand, you'll stay away from them. I've heard of fires being caused by shorted ballasts.

Whats wrong with the Catalina ones I showed you? Just curious.

I thought I read that the problems with the ballasts were corrected and there was no longer a risk of fires? May be it was something else. :question:

I run a corallife T5 with no prob. even got clams (with growth ring's) coral's that require a little more light just place closer to the top..

I thought I read that the problems with the ballasts were corrected and there was no longer a risk of fires? May be it was something else. :question:

dont forget all the older units that are still out there.. I just posted this morning in another thread that i had ended up with one of the fire starter units, but when a ballast quit working, and i opened it all up i found all of the wires inside crispy to the point that the insulation was just flaking and falling off the wires... its just dumb luck that i got this unit, and that i pulled it apart and found all this.. i gutted the fixture, used what i could from it and built my own...

Back