Low Light Corals

blazk

Reefing newb
Well i think i am ready for the next step in reefing.
I haven't had corals before so might need to hold a hand or to to get some guidance. I don't have any halides but i have 4 x t5 lights 2 x 4ft 54W T5HO Pacific Blue Actinic tube 2 x 4ft 54W T5HO Artic White tube 2 x 5 LED /Blue (moon lights). I would love some recommendations of that kind of corals i could keep and what i would need to do to keep them in check.
Thanks all and thanks for reading.

You could probably keep almost anything under those, depending on the depth of your tank, sps might be questionable depending on the depth of your tank.

good starter corals for anyone without halides would be candy canes (caulastrea), frogspawn (Euphyllia divisia), hammer corals (Euphyllia sp.), toadstool leathers, mushrooms, zoanthids, Kenya trees, colt corals, sinularia..... Green star polyps (can grow like a weed) All of the above are easily kept.. and should grow well under your lighting with minimal extra work.

Proper husbandry will always be the best thing you can do for your tank...... weekly or bi-weekly waterchanges... moderate flow in the tank will also help your corals to thrive and grow faster.

I'm sure there are others too.......

good luck.......

What is you light fixture? Generally, 4x54W under a 65 is decent, and you have a nice range. stay away from SPS, but you can keep any soft corals (leathers, colt, xenia) star polyps, zoas and palys, trumpets, torch, frogspawn, hammers. Torch and frogspawn are great beginner coral, colourful, easy and relatively inexpensive. Have fun!

tank dimensions are 122x40x50 that's cm, in inch its = 48x15.7x19.7 with a 33g sump also have 4 x Hydor Koralias 3000Lph running at the moment, think its too much maybe i should only have 2 ? light intensity is 10k per tube I am pretty sure.
Would i need calcium supplements? i use 5 stage RO water with Marine Reef Salt Pro.
I read alot that the tank should be matured upto a year before adding any corals, is this statement true? I Started my cycle mid November 2008. Always do weekly 25L / 10% water changes regardless :) kinda routine. Water quality is spot on, test kit wise anyways.

whether or not you'll need calcium supplements will depend on your water tests...... as you add corals, typically the calcium demand increases.. for most people with only softies, doing weekly waterchanges the calcium can be maintained without additives..... however that is not "carved in stone"

check your water and add suppliments accordingly NEVER dose or add anything you don't test for....

I think if everyone waited a year before adding coral to the tank, most would quit the hobby before they added a thing..... 3 months is my rule...... assuming the water tests good.

Im still battling algae problems but think im on top of it, I think i might see whats out at the LFS tomorrow.

Also just as a reference. I have 4x54W T5's and I even at the bottom of my tank mushrooms wont grow. They have to be under a overhang for them to not look like crap.

I doubt you'd have any trouble keeping any corals you want.You've got plenty of light.
And like Acer said,dont dose anything you dont test for,then only dose if its low.

Id start with some leathers, LPS and some acans. Also, B ionic is one of the best supplements out there. Has calc, alk and a bunch of trace elements.

Back