LPS coral stinging

I have a torch, frogspawn, long tentacle plate and hammer corals. From what I've read they can extend 6 inches or more to sting other corals. My question is, will the same species sting each other? Can I buy another frogspawn and place it near the other one or will they sting each other?

Also I want to know will they sting fish or shrimp? I just put in the LT plate coral, and now two days later my cleaner shrimp is missing and I'm wondering if it got stung because I put it near where the shrimp lives.

Hammers and frogspawns can touch each other and others of the same type. Torches, on the other hand, will sting other corals. The plate coral can eat things if they get too close. The shrimp may have become a meal if it fell into it and got stung.

Okay, good to know I can put the hammer next to the frogspawn. Thanks Biff as always for your quick helpful advice.

I had the shrimp for over a year and had grown quite fond of him :( I also added 4 emerald crabs the same day, and I know there's a chance one of them got the shrimp if it wasn't the plate coral. That's why I delayed so long getting emeralds. But I want this bubble algae gone.

Whenever the shrimp has molted before, it hangs out upside down in its cave for a day or two but I've never not seen it. And I usually notice the molt stuck to a powerhead. Hopefully its back when I get home tonight. If I get another shrimp and it goes missing, I'll just wait for the crabs to eat all the bubble algae (I hope) and then put them in the sump before I try getting more shrimp. BTW I wonder how long cleaner shrimp usually live?

Back