LR Shipping

wsboyette

Fishy, Fishy, Fishy, Fish
When I received my LR from LiveAquaria, it was not immersed in water, just very damp. Consequently, there seems to be a lot of die-off during this rock's re-curing cycle. Is that how all the vendors ship LR, or do they put it in bags with water ? Would I have been better off to purchase my LR from another vendor ?

That's how most vendors ship their "mostly dead" rock.

There's only a couple places that ship truly "live" rock.
The one I use is Tampa Bay Saltwater.
Richard packs the rock in water and ships it air freight in the morning and you pick it up at your airport later that same day.

The shipping prices are pretty high but, you get what you pay for. Great customer service, actual live rock, and tons of extras.

That's how 99% of vendors transport it IME. Besides, as long as it's damp, there's bacteria present on the outside & inside of the rock. That's all that counts IMO. Live Aquaria is the only online vendor that I've dealt with. Now here it is almost 2 years & $825.00 later & they still have yet to disappoint me.

TBS ships in water and more and larger live critters survive on the rock. Someone actually got an octopus in their TBS LR! You won't find a critter like that on 'damp' rock.

Wow, the shipping charges for that must be astronomical !

It's not all that bad shipped air freight like that.
It would most definitely be a lot more if it was shipped via ups or fedex. ;)
And then when you consider what you are getting on the rock, it's most definitely worth the extra cost.

just know with TBS you have to pay shipping on the first 100lb. no mater what even if you just want 10lb. of rock. the bigger the order the better off you are.

Back