Macro Algae in DT

kwsm

Reefing newb
Currently, we do not have a sump/fuge/scrubber. I have come across the suggestion a couple times on the internet to add macro algae to the DT if you don't have the place for it anywhere else. Will it grow in a sand substrate? Will it grow out of control way too fast and take over the tank? Where do you even GET it?

Basically, would anyone recommend it? Has anyone tried it or currently has macro growing in their DT?

I had macro algae in my DT for about 6 months until I switched to a tank that had a built in sump and skimmer. I had two different types, both were LR hitch hikers. Both grew relatively quickly and both were attached to the LR. I would just trim them up once a week when I did my water changes. From my experience macro algae does grow fast, but it is relatively easy to keep it under control.

You get it here!

https://www.livingreefs.com/chaeto-you-want-t24752.html

You can buy a simple HOB fuge, which work really well. Or you can make your own container in the tank, made of clear plastic with holes punched in it for water flow.

I would not recommend letting it just grow in your display tank. It will attach to everything and take over, smothering out your live stock. And once it is on your rocks, it will be impossible to control. That's why I recommend chaetomorpha over caulerpa algae. Caulerpa is a pest once it gets into the display.

Could/should I turn an old HOB filter into a fuge? I read about that somewhere I think. How do you keep stuff from running out of there into the display? Does it need substrate? Do I have to keep lights on it all the time or will my T5s work for the duration they're on?

My brother added macro to his 29g BC and it grew all over everything. He had to cull it back all the time, but I think it just made it grow even faster. One piece of LR was so badly covered that he had to boil it to kill the macro. You're best bet is to keep it out of the tank. An old HOB filter will work good for a small fuge or place to hold the macro. Just remember to trim it as it will grow fast in there too. It will also need lighting to thrive.

Could/should I turn an old HOB filter into a fuge? I read about that somewhere I think. How do you keep stuff from running out of there into the display? Does it need substrate? Do I have to keep lights on it all the time or will my T5s work for the duration they're on?
It's really up to you, whether you want to. I'm sure they use some kind of egg crate material to keep the algae in. If you google it you will find many DIY build threads. It doesn't need substrate but, if you have the room for it, substrate and LR are a plus. Your T5s may work but, people generally have a light just for their fuge that comes on when the DT light shuts off. It helps to stabilize your pH (usually your pH will drop at night when the lights go off)

Back