Macro Algea growth

NewbReefer

Reefing newb
question on refugiums. my cheato doesn't seem to be growing very fast, either from not enough light or it doesn't have time extract nitrates and phosphates out of the water. my refugium light is being ran 24/7. My sump has a rather high flow rate, has anyone ran into this? and how'd you go about fixing this? I cant change the flow rate in the sump itself but i thought what i could do is get a small powerhead and pump into a seprate tub where i keep my cheato and can control my flow, and then pump it back into the sump. anyone's suggestions or opinions on this would helpful.

Sounds like you might be on the right track with the powerhead and pump.
Ive read too that sometimes cheato might be kinda slow to get started.

You have the right idea...if you have the space a separate fuge from the main sump will allow you to control the flow.That is the design I will be incorporating...hopefully I'll have the space.I dunno if this makes a difference,how about running the lights opposite of the DT.

well i did some searching on refugium lighting cause my Cheato still doesn't seem to be growing and i came up with this Melevsreef.com - Refugium Bulb I have the fixture and i just ordered the bulb. my 15w 510x bulb i had over my fuge was, for one, to far from the cheato, and two, i just dont think it was producing the best of light. check out that link it's pretty cool how much difference a bulb upgrade can help your stuff grow. also heres a huge thread on it that you can read everyones suggestions and results from simply screwing in a $10 bulb. hopefully i get similar results. Reef Central Online Community - A great refugium lightbulb, IMHO!

I'm using a 5$ screw in 6500k bulb from walmart. On the package it says daylight bulb, and so far it has worked great. I also got the idea form melev.

Walmart also sells the dome fixture for like 5 or 10 buck, but I already had a small one for my snake tank I used to have.

if I'm correct(could be wrong), you are running lights over chaeto 24/7?? think that could be your problem. from my reading, that's too much. they need a resting time w/ no lights on

right now im running my fuge light about 12 hours but i've read of people running them 24/7 on cheato and are not noticing a difference but i think it best to have at least a little dark period. i need to run to walmart so i'll see if they care a 6500k bulb.

well i've been running the new bulb for about 2 weeks now and have notice alot of new growth and my nitrate is now staying at 0. deffinetly worth the $15.

The best light to use is a flood light 75 watts or more look for the white circular bulb inside of the flood light (Bright Effects) purchased at Lowes $10. and of course the clap, I would remove the metal reflector as this will help heat be directed away from tank.

I run 24/7 on my 850 reef and 10 hours on my 180. I get much better growth in my 850, although it does have a bigger bio load as well.

Back