Macro Shots - Slideshow

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
Little slide show. These are all macro shots with my Canon Powershot A460.

This was on rapid fire, so some of them repeat quite a bit. I've edited out a lot of this sequence because they were blurry or had bad color.

Last edited:
Those are just button polyps. The tentacles vary from hour to hour. Sometimes they are up and flowing in the current. Other times they are down and relaxed. They are voracious eaters and will take meaty food daily if I would feed them that often. But if I feed them daily, they grow to hundreds and I don't have the room, so it's all about nutrient control. I've fragged this colony several times. I have 2 frag plugs in the frag tank with 5-8 polyps each. The mother colony has around 20 polyps at this time. I butchered them up a few months ago and sold about 50 polyps.

Fully grown polyps are 3/4" diameter and 2" tall.

Nice...Very Nice...those are some excellent shots. Those upside down polyps looked almost like jelly fishes at first glance.

what's a good way to frag those guys?

Butcher style!!

Just get a nice sharp razor blade and cut them apart at the base. They're basically just big zoas, sorta. I just hack them apart. They heal up in a month. Glue the new frags to a plug and run some carbon in the tanks for a couple days.

You want me to frag some and do a video of it? It's gruesome, but they grow back pretty quick.

Butcher style!!

Just get a nice sharp razor blade and cut them apart at the base. They're basically just big zoas, sorta. I just hack them apart. They heal up in a month. Glue the new frags to a plug and run some carbon in the tanks for a couple days.

You want me to frag some and do a video of it? It's gruesome, but they grow back pretty quick.

That'd be awesome! I have some cool green & silver ones I want to frag. I haven't had much luck fragging anything but GSP

More shots. Same corals and crab. But still pretty neat shots.

Wish my macro lens would reach out farther, but if the subject isn't 3" or less from the lens it won't work. They have to be super close for the lens to work correctly.

Thanks RC! That's awesome, I'm going to try it this week. Are zoa's much different to frag?

Where can I get me some of that glue?

btw, that's a ton of frags in your frag tank!!!

The glue is very common around hobby shops that specialize in RC cars or RC airplanes. They commonly refer to it as C A (see ayy) glue. Get the medium or thick. I like medium.

The thin is like water and NOT good for glueing frags to plugs. It IS good for gluing your fingers to plugs!! :mrgreen:

Zoas are just as easy. Wear gloves. Wear glasses. Try and cut the mat/foot instead of the polyp, but it's not necessarily dead if you cut the polyps body. It's really amazing how tough and resilient they are. You'll see how the mat grows across the surface of the rock. Just try and cut the mat and not the actual polyp body. It's easy.

The ones I fragged this morning are already recovered from the fragging. They'll be fully open and eating meaty foods within 2 days at the most.

My tank is only 1/3 full. You should see it when I get all 4 racks in there and full of plugs. I can hold up to 80 plugs in the racks and about 20 on the sand bed.

Thats all getting torn down in the next couple weeks. I'm going to a 29g tank with a 5g sump. The damsel needs more room to swim and I ain't got the heart to kill him just because he doesn't like the small tank. I rescued him from a local guy who was gonna flush him for being too aggressive. Duh! It's a damsel!! But the little guy is too big for the 10g tank and he's not happy.

I've got everything here to set up the 29g tank except bulkheads and some other plumbing parts. I picked up some free lexan today and planning to cut it up and make an overflow with it. I need about $30 worth of bulkheads and plumbing parts. I've got most of the wood for the stand. Might have to purchase a couple 2x4's, but thats it.

Total investment in the 29g frag tank should be under $50. I'll do a tank build on it when I've got all the parts together.

The current 10g tank is a stand-alone system. There's just a HOB refugium and a PC light.

The new 29g frag will also be a stand-alone system.

My 30g display is a stand-alone system.

I know it would help if they were all connected together, but it's just not practical in my tiny apartment. There's a tank here, another one over there, and a different one in that other room over there.

Back