Mag-Float scratching problem

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
...so I've had the medium Mag-Float about a year and a half and all of a sudden it has been scratching my glass. I know that sand can get caught in it and it will cut glass but I have checked it out, scrubbed it with a toothbrush and I am still getting scratches. I am wondering if one of the small bristles on the magnet is damaged or something and causing the scratches. Has anyone else heard of this happening all of a sudden?

your magnets must be much stronger than mine, cause i can use mine with sand in the scrubbing pad and it dosent leave any marks of any kind....

I know that this is gonna sound realy stupid, but are you sure your working with glass?

cuz acrylic would scratch that easy....

I've had the same thing happen. Look at it carefully under strong light and you will probably see coralline or one of those small white feather dusters growing in there. It only takes one very small calcerous deposit on the mag float to scratch the hell out of your glass. Throw it out and get a new one.

your magnets must be much stronger than mine, cause i can use mine with sand in the scrubbing pad and it dosent leave any marks of any kind....

I know that this is gonna sound realy stupid, but are you sure your working with glass?

cuz acrylic would scratch that easy....

Yes, I'm sure.

I don't use may Mag Float anymore because of scratching. It always getting sand in it and being a PITA. I haven't had the problem you describe though Alto.

I gotta agree with Sen.Theres probably some coralline or a small tubeworm in the bristles.
If you want a stong scraper,get yourself a Magnavore:D I've got one that takes BOTH hands to move,but it'll take coralline right off the glass.

dang, ok yea, well, whaddya expect from the dollar ninety nine cleaner i got from (gulp) petsmart when i first set up my first fresh tank, like 5-6 years ago... heck mine isnt even a brand name that i can remember, and it darn sure aint a mag float... but it still gets all the algae and spiral worms off the glass, and thats really all i want it for... i use my metal edged scraper for coraline and the tougher stuff...

Back