Magical fish

bdejong

Reefing newb
Sometime today one of mt Royal Grammas did a dissapearing act. He was there this afternoon but I cant find him now. He was always out and about, especially around dinner time. Tonight I cant find him, he is no where to be found. I used a high power light to look in all the favorite hiding places and also searched all around the tank. No sight of him at all.

What bugs me the most is that if he did die he will eventually foul up the tank if I dont locate him, right?

Not necessarily. If you have a good cleaner crew and some bristleworms they should be able to finish him off without a problem.

3 of my chromis's dissapeared in a 3 month span and my ammonia never spiked. I am assuming my cleanup crew as well as other scavengers finished them off.

I had a yellow coris wrasse that did that.Found him on the edge of the stand a week after he went missing.Still aint figured out how he stuck to a quarter inch piece of wood.

sorry to hear about your gamma....check canister, filters etc..those fish are real magicians..not even houdini could get inside those filters the way they do it...

Thanks for the tips, I went over everything with a fine tooth comb. the floor, the cabnet, the filters, even my skimmer. Everything is clear. I went and moved a few of the top rocks around with no luck finding him. Check water again and all levels are normal. I ahte that, he was a cool guy, my biggest concern is was it something that I did or was it just time.

For a cleanup crew I only have two hermits left. My snails had a mass suicide and after finding their rotten stinky shells in all the worst locations in the rock I am hesitant to replace them. I know I have to and I will do so, but I have to find a better snail. I stil dont know ehy they all croaked within a weeks time of eachother. The clowns are still very active and happy as well as the other gramma. the finger leather and the zoo's are doing great as well. the only time the zoo's closed up was when I did a top off an accidently pored he plain water right on top of them. They didnt like that at all, but within an hour or so they were wide open for business again.

Enough obsessing for now. We shall wait and see.

I've not seen fish for weeks at a time with no worries. My engineer blenny.. man... I don't think I saw him more than twice a month when he was small. I also used to have a Snowflake Eel - We named him Houdini. I could never find him when I wanted to. I remember when I moved into a larger apartment and we had to move the tank. I transfered all the rock and water into a giant rubbermaid - took each fish out... never found the Eel... yet.. he made it into the new tank.

Back