Making my first gallons of water

Mattyice008

Reefing newb
So I recently bought a typhoon 5stage rodi unit. We hooked it up yesterday, and let it run into the sink for about 4 hours like it said, throwing out all the bad water. So now I'm filling up the big garbage bin we have to get some water then start mixing salt. So I was just wondering if once I have the salinity right, I'm good to go? What other testing do I have to do to make sure I won't kill everything lol.

Also, another question. My salinity is high in one of my tanks, and I was wondering how much I can take the salinity down at one time and still be safe.
For example, if the salinity is .28, can I take it down to .24 with RO water right then and there, or do it gradually?

It takes about 24 hours for salinity to stabilize once the salt has been added to the water. So let the water mix for a day or so (you can use a little powerhead in the garbage bin) and test after it has mixed for a while. If the salinity is good, you are good to go. Most people also throw a small heater in there to get it up to an acceptable temperature.

I would drop the salinity gradually. Just remove some of the saltwater and replace with a little fresh water each day. 1.028 isn't very high, so it's not like a salinity emergency or anything!

Thanks Biff. I'm going to visit my brothers in Oregon in the morning (gotta get up at 3am..) So I'll put the salt in tonight and make sure my dad knows how to do a water change haha

Back