Mandrin fishy

Ashna

Reefing newb
so i was thinking about gettin a mandrin goby, i know they eat pods ad such. there is a store about an hour from me that sells pods which is cool, i was thinkin about gettin a bottle and dumping them in my tank, hoping they will breed and multiply to have a good food supply for it. now i also read you need about 100lbs of live rock to keep these guys fed, but if i put a bottle of pods in my tank once a month to keep the food supply up, would that be enough? i have a 50 gallon with about 65lbs of live rock. also will it fight with any other fish i currently have?
20 assorted hermit crabs
2 pepermint shrimp
3 green emrald crabs
2 red emrald crabs
3 turbo snails
1 red Linkia
1 coral banded shrimp
1 flame scallop
2 pink anthesis
1 fire goby
1clown fish
1 sand sifting goby, dont know what kinda, he is white with a yellow head and a blue line under his eye

:) Thanks

it fine mine still live and it been 1 yea while mandarin of the other without the much live rock (like me) die but if your lucky and take care of your tank alot it will survive like mines the pods are still breeding :P( i dump 5 Bottle of them every 2 month)

what might work is to make a pod tank,i made a 15 gallon into a pod tank and put a bunch of sea lettuce in and had pods comming out my ears within a month

You can add one, but I would recommend not buying one unless they show you at the store that it will eat frozen foods. If it eats frozen foods, then you don't need to worry so much about giving it a constant source of pods.

If you cant find one that is eating frozen i would wait until your tank is around 6 months old because by then you should have a pretty good pod population. Im sure that you already have lots of pods in your tank, there just arent a ton so you dont notice them.

Adding the bottled pods is a good thing for your tank but you shouldnt rely on that to keep a mandarine feed, that wont provide enough for them

oh my tank is crawling with pods. everytime i turn my lights on theres like a million of them kinda reminds me of cockroachs scattering lol. i have a little 4 gallon tank, could i use that for a pod breeding ground? if so, what exactly woul i need, bcuz im not gonna lie, i dont wanna spend much if not any money on it.

It may be crawling with pods, but they will decimate the population quickly. I'd make a little refugium where the mandarin can't get them. What I did in my old tank was take a1/2 gal little acrylic box, drill some small holes in it to allow flow, and use a cleaning magnet to hold it to the inside of the tank. I put a tiny powerhead in it to keep the circulation, and put rock rubble, some macroalgae, and some sand in there. Pods had a safe place to breed and it worked out pretty well.

got mine about a week ago and it's a hugh sucker, like 2" long. got him while they were still aclimating him to there water and he's eating frozen already. I have to feed the other fish first and then squirt some in his direction on the bottom and he gobble's them right up.so, yea you gotta get'em eating frozen..

Back