mangrove instead of skimmer

dannyboy

PLUHH
I have read that mangrove can take the place of a skimmer. I want to keep my spiny box fish in his own tank, a 30 gallon w/ good amount of live rock for about a year until I am ready to move into a permanent location where I'll move up to a 125g and he can move into the 75 I currently have. My trigger is stressing him way to much, I really don't want to spent the money on another skimmer or return pump so was wondering if this mangrove stalks I read about along with good amount of live rock would be adequite for the time being. thanks again

A protein skimmer removes the nutrient/protein before it can breakdown and become nitrate.Mangrove and other macroalgae removes the final by-product nitrate.Not the same to me.

Still,if you want set up some kind of tank with mangrooves without a skimmer than that's fine.Make sure the leaves are out of water and any leaves that fall into the water be removed right away.

Last edited:
Freak is right, macroalgaes and plants take up nitrates. Skimmers remove the nutrients before they have a chance to turn into nitrates. Skimmers don't do as great a job at removing the nitrates themselves (which is why, even if you have a skimmer, water changes and macroalgae are usually necessary to keep nitrates down).

Well said, Freak!!! :)

we had this conversation in our club and from one experience we found out that keep man groves on your own risk. there root systems is very large and strong if i can find article i will post it but the roots actually pushed into silicone on tank and start push glass apart and sprung a leak. Plus like freak stated you do not want leaves falling into water, to get to grow quick wet leaves down every so often also.

I have heard many good things about Mangroves instead of Cheato, but I haven't heard them replacing a protein skimmer.

I was just checking Biff.

If you want some non evasive macroalgae maybe try shaving brush in the display instead of mangroves.Fish tend to stay away from them like chaeto.

Back