mangrove trimming?

WarmWaterDiver

Reefing newb
DSC_0003_49530.jpg

I have about 20 mangroves in my sump that have been growing like crazy! I thought i heard somewhere that I should pluck off a leaf or two to keep them from getting too tall. I can't find a lot of information on this though. Anyone know whether I should pluck off the bottom two leaves or the top two leaves, if any at all?

sorry warmwater i have no experience with mangroves, i've always liked seeing them in a refugium though. how have they done on keeping your nutrient levels down?

From what I can tell they have done very well. I've never had a real huge problem with nitrates (never over 10)... however since adding mangroves my nitrates are 0-2ppm and I have zero phosphates. They're fun to look at, it's one of the few plants i can keep without my cats eating them. I really try to have natural filtration so I think these are a great addition.

yeah i love the tropical look of them, and yours look great! glad there working good for ya, i'd love maybe try a few in my refugium but depending on how well my cheato and pod farm do in the new refugium i may not have room for any.

Just pinch off the top leaves. They'll grow more branches instead of getting taller. How many do you have?

Back