Marine feeders

Gigaah

Reefing newb
I've been told that freshwater live feeders are not good for saltwater creatures. From what I gather its the lack of certain nutrients in the fish. Nobody in the area ..or probably anywhere really sells live saltwater feeders. Closest thing I've found are brackish mollys but i don't know for sure if they have the omega fatty acids and such needed. and they cost like $2 each at the cheapest. I was wondering what the deal with that is? Sure most fish can be fed frozen fare.

I could probably set up my 33 gallon 48" long tank with an uber algae scrubber to support it. I couldn't really justify doing it unless I could get an LFS or two to buy some from me. hmm..gears turning..smoke comming from head.

Just acclimate some of those Mollies to full salt.They can and will breed in full salt and will basically become excellent marine feeders.

Do the mollys have the right nutrients for salt water fish? If so I might go that route. Molly's are cheap. i could buy quite a few. I don't know anything about their breeding i know the chromis I mentioned care for their eggs and young and right from hatch will take baby brine. That is why I selected those. If molly's are similar then that wouldn't be a bad route to go.

Mollies are live bearers,so as soon as the fry are born,their on their own.
They will also eat the same foods as any marine fish like a tang or rabbitfish,which IMO should put the needed nutrients right into the feeders.Kinda like gut loading Brine except they are actually eating the required nutrients.

Cool I might try that. From what I read mollies hatch like 25 babies once/twice a month instead of many hundreds. Wich would be easier to deal with if I'm breeding feeders for myself.
It would be easier to maintain enough but not too many feeders for my lion.

Of course one of my clarkii's eats feeders too..funny to watch..but he gets the job done. I purchases a littel green spotted puffer for that tank that i'm sure will take feeders once he gets more than 1" as well..I had to save one from walmart..I missed my takifugu my GF made me get rid of so I managed to convince her a Green spotted puffer would be ok since they only get like 3". heheh. I hope it eats her new golden headed goby. j/k...kind of.

Back