Marine Fish & Building Work

balders77

Reefing newb
soon my house is going to undertake some fairly major building works which will involve quite a lot of drilling into the floor....hence a lot of vibration. firstly will this kill my marines? secondly does anyone know of anywhere who provides fish 'holiday' services? i know a few of the maidenhead aquatics stores used to do it but they don't seem to any more. i'm based in berkshire. it would only be for a week or so.

You can always look through craigslist. I know they're worldwide, just don't know how commonly people in your area post on there.

You could also solicit a responsible teen in your neighborhood to pet sit -- just pre-measure the food and any dosing, and write specific instructions and "what ifs". I, myself, hired my neighbor's 12 year old, who I trust 100% to look after all my pets. I've even been gone for 2 weeks, and she did a great job! Everything was written out and premeasured. Even top offs weren't a problem before I got my ATO. What little I paid was actually a lot for them, so I saved money with her than if I used a professional. Test them out for a weekend to see if they handle it ok.

I doubt the vibration will cause that much harm...but it might stress them. Not sure. I'm also about to sand the drywall under my tank. I'd be interested to know what people think.

Welcome to the site!

I would be more worried about the vibration stressing the tank

I doubt the vibration will cause that much harm...but it might stress them

. I'm also about to sand the drywall under my tank. I'd be interested to know what people think.
Believe it or not drywall dust wont hurt your fish tank as it is mostly calcium.Like those little weekend food pyramids.try to keep most of it out of the tank you can keep a shop vac running while you sand.But a little dust won't hurt.but it is a good idea to put a carbon pad in front of the over flow to get it before it hits the sump.I used the big pad and just cut it to fit held it with a couple clothes pins.I covered my tank with a plastic sheet for like 4 hours but a little dust still got in there from the drywall work around the new moldings and windows

I wasn't worried about the dust, perse, just worried about the same thing as balders -- the vibration -- since the tank is right above it (built in wall stand) :D

thanks all. yeah i'm going to be drilling through the concrete floor slab in the room next to the aquarium in 21 places, then 1 metre piles are going to go in those holes.....so i think it's going to be pretty loud with a load of vibration. i might end up sticking them in a quarantine tank at the folks for a week to be safe

Back