Marine Noob

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Got a 29G BioCube (been into fresh for years). Its 1 month old and has two fighting hermit crabs: Scrapy & Curious

So the other day they start fighting. Curious (less aggressive) retreats in his shell. Scrapy (the more aggressive) grabs the other's shell and starts slamming himself into Curious's shell over & over. I can her the clinking sound on the other side of the room! Finally Scrapy reaches in and rips Curious out of his shell and takes it for himself --only to abandon it 10 minutes later. Curious scampers off and hides in the rocks with no shell.

Also, I have some unusual green coralline algae on my live rock.

Last edited:
Welcome to livingreefs. Sounds like an interesting pair of hermits Id drop a spare shell into the tank just so everyones comfy.

How are your tanks set up is the 1gal inside the 10gal used as a refugium?

Are they same type of hermits?

Coraline comes in many diffrent colors. I have a lot of green coralline on my rocks too.

They are both the same type and came from the same tank at the store. I dropped plenty of extra shells of good size in and they still fight. There is some live rock in there (I need more).

The 1G refugium inside the 10G: I took a glass vase, almost as tall as the 10G tank, and rinsed it forever --it may have had soap in it. Filled it with gravel, plants and water and then stood it in on the gravel so the top came above the 10G water level. Put a $4 filter in it. No heater required. It works as a good refugium for a single fish but not disease isolation because water splatters over. It looks nice too. Right now I have a Betta in there.

Sounds neat. A planted tank guy that is still in the planning stage of a reef. I like hearing about and seeing things that are out of the ordinary.

Back