Marineland LEDs

mbrew

Reefing newb
So I recently put some money down on "48 marineland led, one of my buddies told me that they aren't good for reefs and I should keep my t-5 but they are reef compatible, do any of yall have em or know anything, Thanks

I've heard the same thing...they aren't really strong enough for many reefs. You may get away with them if you place your more light demanding corals higher up in the tank...good luck with them and let us know how it goes. Don't get rid of your t-5's until you know they're working out for you.

I did some research a while back found out they use 1w White LEDs, and .6W Blue LEDS.
So, if i were you i wouldnt even risk buying it! But just my 2 pence! :D

Appreciate it y'all! + 2 to all of you guys lol screw the +1 we'll go +2 today being the day of rest an all. Lol well the guy I bought my 90 setup from is a private dealer he says he has some stark led's I'm going to read up on real quick while my gf is in wal-Mart and I'm chilling out in her car with a cold : / blah

So I went back to the place I put money down on marineland led and told them I didn't wanna go with the 1w led so I got my money and bought a nice 3in hammer coral, my first Lps, said they are good beginner Lps, moderate water movement, will eat small meaty foods if offered,but it's photosysthis and I placed it far enough away from my other corals, since it will sting them, slow growers. Anything else I should know..? Thanks

Oh and by the way I am going with these Stark LEDs :)
Dimmable StarkLed Aquarium light

I do have the marineland led reef light and all my corals and maxi mini Anemone are doing great. I have mushrooms which don't need too much light, Kenya trees and green star polyps, zoas, hammer and frogspawn, trumpet coral and nepthea. All which are growing remarkably. I personally like this light a lot and haven't had any bad issues with it. Now I don't have any sps yet but I'm going to try a beginner sps and see how that does with the light.

Yea I've heard good things about them.. after learning they were only 1w and I could get 3w for the same price I decided to go with Starks 3w.

Brittany, because of your success with yours I bought one as well, glad yours is still making your corals and anemone happy. You should start a Marineland led light thread with pics and updates and we can prove the nay sayers wrong!

I was wondering if LEDs were worth it since the marineland lights are so inexpensive. Brittney, did you get the double or single marineland LED lights as I see there are two difference types. Pictures would be nice.

I believe I got the double...i got the reef ready kind. Here's a pic of my tank. Been running for about 5.5 months now.
IMAG1073.jpg

It seems the light is not scattering very well. Do you have any issues with spotlighting? I see the price is about the same as other reef read leds. How big of one did you buy?

I think I have either the 24-36 inch or 36-48 inch. Whichever one is $250. I can't remember now. My light seems to scatter pretty well. There is definitely spots where the light penetrates better. Like right under the bulb. But my lift fixture goes across the whole top of my tank so all of my tank gets lit up by it.

Very nice. I am just trying to figure out what I want to do as I am not finding anyone in town that has any marineland led's like this on any of their tanks so I can check it out. I cannot even find anyone who stocks them. Just curious.

My corals look like they are doing pretty good. Both my hammer and my frogspawn have started to branch. I keep the day lights on for about ten hours then the lights turn off for a few hours till I get home from work and then I turn on the blue night lights for the rest of the night. So ky corals get a lot of light time. The lights are only totally off for a few hours. I love how everything glows and the water skimmers at night.

Back