Markiis's 120g

you can buy play sand but since you only have base rock in there youll need a good maybe 5-10 pounds of real, cured live rock to seed everything and make it live

do i need live sand? or can i skimp and buy play sand?

You can get dry aragonite sand,so you dont have to spend for the live stuff.
I didnt like the look of play sand when I tryed it.It looked more like crushed up glass on the bottom of my tank.Aragonite will look more natural and is actually supposed to help buffer the PH.Weather it does not,I dont know.And since you already got your rock in,it wont take that much sand to get the depth you want.

I know its been a while since my last post.. but I wanted to show off my new sump I just finished putting together.. I copied a design from melevsreef.com (he deserves all the credit :bowdown:) Sorry no pics of the build :(

P1010190.jpg

P1010190.jpg

I'm also concerned about the plumbing design. It looks like the DT drain is plumbed into the right side but split to the left and it looks like the return is from the right. If that's the case, then the skimmer on the left is skimming the water it just skimmed and not getting much new water to it. It would make better sense to me if the return was on the left side with the skimmer and the DT drain to the right side.

drain is on the left side with the skimmer, the split is to the refuge, it has a ball valve to control how much flow so it can be slower then that of the sump itself. the majority of the water flows through the left side.. i will get a top shot to better explain

P1010198.jpg

Last edited:
I'm confused... You say it flows from left to right, but your right most baffle is the tallest one in the first pics you posted, and the water level is higher on the right side. Have you made any changes since your first post or am I missing something?

Back