Matt's 20 gallon long

They like to keep the things they host clean... She was just cleaning the torch.

I think it looks a bit better... I know other people have had torches or other euphyllias successfully hosting clowns, so I'd give it a bit still.

That's what clowns do with Anemones. They like to suck on the tenticles but the Anemones can handle it vs. Your torch could very easily tear and that wouldn't be good. Clowns can get very rowdy when hosting a coral or Anemone and can cause a lot of damage.

Thanks for input ladies, i guess its just a waiting game. I will give it a few days see how my torch reacts and go from there. Getting rid of either is out of the question though. I love my clowns and my torch.

No Brittany unfortunatley i do not. The only corals i have are the torch, a frogspawn, Kenya tree, a small green mushroom (very small, about the size of a quarter), a devils hand, a red gargonian, some zoas and a huge blasto colony.

Hannah- my gorg is doing well thanks. Its polyps only open maybe once a week at night and i feed it a slurry of phyto and cyclopese. It doesnt seem to have grown any at all since i have gotten it though. The white polyps coming out are a good sign though.
Brittany-i was thinking the same thing tonight :) I am probably going to a pace tomorrow to return a broken powerhead so i'll see what they have in the coral department.
As for a hostable coral, from what i read torch's are supposed to be hostable. Apparently not. But im assuming you mean a more resiliant coral like the leathers you mentioned earlier. I will see about a toadstool if they have any. What do you think the chance of them leaving my torch alone and liking the toadstool better though. Im kind of hoping the torch hosting works out. They dont appear to be doing any real physical harm or destruction to the coral that i can see. May just need a matter of time for the torch to get used to something constantly touching it. When i fed my clowns marine cuisine tonight, i noticed they were bringing it over to the torch to eat. Feeding it possibly. Ill keep it updated on the progress, Thanks for the input.

Yea they are feeding it. That's what they would do with an Anemone. I'm not sure what the odds are to them hosting something else honestly. They host whatever they like. Hopefully your torch just gets used to it. That would be awesome.

Came home this evening from work and my torch doesnt look all that great. Removing the clowns or the torch are both out of the question, since i have no other place to put either. I tried moving the rock the torch was on they just went right after it. Im thinking of something to cover the torch with so the clowns cant get at it, but still remain in good flow and light. Any suggestions? I read somewhere the strawberry basket things. I went to 3 grocery stores, and this time of year they come in sealed plastic containers. No good for that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Could you go get some egg crate material and zip strip a little box together? It wouldn't be pretty, but it could save your torch...........

Thats a good idea Sam, where my torch is located it is very uneven rock so your right it wouldnt be pretty. My concern is though, after i leave it for awhile so the clowns cant get to it, whos to say once i finally do remove it they wont just go right back. Guess its a chance i gotta take. Had an idea of cutting the top off of a 1 litre pop bottle and using a hole punch to make some current through it. The trouble is attaching it to a rock for the night..

Last edited:
ok, rigged up quite the forcefield for my torch, it already opened right up since i put it on. My clowns dont really seem bothered by it. they arnt trying to get at the torch or anything. Just swimming around their old territory pre-torch. I know this is a pretty vague question,but, any suggestions on how long i should leave it on for?

Do you think the clowns will just go right back to it when you take it off? Maybe leave it on for a week or so. Maybe they will forget.

I do Brittany, they used to sleep by my magnet scrubber before the torch. When they were hosting they slept by the torch. Sine i covered it up they are back to the magnet scrubber. Which leads me to beleive when i do take it off. Boom, back to the torch. I may need to re make my force field since it doesnt allow as much flow as i would like. You know everyone usually wants their clowns to host. I admit so did i. Didnt forsee this happening though.

Waddi. It was you that said yours hosted a coral as well. Had any troubles or had to make any precautions to prevent them before? Or did you just let nature take its course?

Back