Maxi Jet 900/150W Viper

AdeptMrSniffles

I have a Blue Thumb
Hey everyone,

1) I have a Maxi Jet 900 that pooped out on me about 3 months ago. I've taken it apart as much as possible and discovered that the turbine is making contact with the motor housing, making it unable to spin. Anyone know of a fix, a site to pickup a new turbine or a mod?

2) Anyone have a comments on a 150W Viper Metal Halide fixture?

The bulbs in the Viper units are 14,000K if i believe, and not a great brand. Other than that, pretty decent.

I carry the Reef Octopus 150W clamp ons, I'm a huge fan of anything Reef Octopus (owned by coralvue) makes. They also give you the option of whatever color spectrum you want on the Coralvue bulb that is included. 15 or 20 bucks more, but you get a name brand ballast and bulb, so it'll last longer.

I almost bought 2 of the viper 250 watt lights.
Like Nd stated,they normally come with 14000K bulbs.I dont know about the cheap bulbs the light comes with.But I'm running Phoenix 14000K bulbs in my lights and love em.

I plan to run the phoenix on my next setup, but the 14,000K bulbs in the K2 viper aren't that great... this is just word on the block though... never tried them :P

Whenever I search for an octopus metal halide lighting fixture it brings up online stores in Australia. Probably just didn't look well enough.

I have never ran those but i plan on running them in the future! I think you can get a octopus metal halide lighting fixture in the United States. I will look it up and get back to you!

Anyone know of a good clip on back light kit? Cuz I'm thinking about a 24" Sunpod back can't hang from vaulted ceiling, or go into wall with L brackets

Last edited:
You don't necessarily have to do a clip on back. My last personal tank, 60g cube, used a 3/4 inch rod that I had made. The lumenarc hung from this. It had holes drilled at the base of it, one inch apart, which would allow me to move the light up and down.

tanksetup.jpg

Here it is right after the build was finished, and before packing with corals. (The wood block is because it was midnight, and I forgot to buy a wing nut to attach the reflector)

DSC_6782.jpg

OMG!!! I have been searching for days, hours upon hours, for the kind of light that I want without prevail! I'm caught between a 30" Nova Sundial or a clamp on MH like a Viper or Octpus. The Sundial i've found on Opentip.com runs $180 and the octopus is the SAME! However, I've watched vids on YouTube of a Viper and there are constant dark spots in the sides of the tank which would drive me nuts. I'm leaning towards the Sundial because it would give me an even spread over the tank. Although the Sundail is only 100Ws and the Viper or Octo are 150W! I'm tired of thinking.... someone just tell me what to buy, lol.

Back