maybie 35g reef?

Neno reefs

Reefing newb
Well last night i was looking at my 35g just thinking of what i could do with it. I was thinking of mayby next year moveing out the FW fish into another tank and useing my 35 as a reef tank. The thing i am woundering is what are my stock options?
This would be my dream stock but i have a feeling its over stocked.
1 flame angel (as my center piece fish)
2 clown fish
2 fire fish
and couple of small gobies
then the CC with shrimp,snails,crabs etc.
And a bunch of diffrent types of soft and mushroom corals.
I probably wont change it over to saltwater but its nice to think of what i could do if did
icon_lol.gif

35 gallons= 4 fish...tops 5 if they are really small...most would say 3 top 4 I love flames...I want one as well...two clowns might have aggression issues. One would have to be much bigger then the other. Same size and one will die. I think Flame, clown, court Jester goby or a sunrise dottyback . Thats at least what I was thinking for my 45 lol but things always seem to change...Those three or four would be a lot of color but dont take my word for it...research research and then more on compatibility...

I would say skip either the firefish or the gobies. The angel and a pair of clowns will be fine. As Ted said, make sure one is much larger than the other, as far as the clowns go. I have 2 percs in my 10, and there is no fighting at all. The firefish are known jumpers, so if you are going to be running the tank without a screen top, they would be a bad idea. Gobies also have a tendency to jump, and unless you get a mated pair, you won't be able to keep more than one in a 35. They get territorial with fish that look like they do, so you will end up with a fight club on your hands. My suggestion?

1 Flame Angel
2 Clowns (Percs or ocellaris, although skunks would be ok too)
1 Goby/shrimp combo

That keeps your tank from being overcrowded, creates movement on several levels within the tank, and gives you a variety of color and behavior to observe. The goby will stick to the bottom with its shrimp buddy, the clowns will hopefully pair up and find some object within the tank to host them (and then they'll stick fairly close to that object), and the angel will swim all over the tank.

Have you ever used any common kind of copper-based medications in the 35g at all?

If not, this would be a pretty fun project for you. :)

When you switch it to salt take the tank apart and scrub with vinegar. Rinse, let it dry and you should be good...

Well i have decided to make the switch and try a saltwater tank, but i got a few questions.

I have descovered my 35g is actualy a 38g tank, then with the 1g refugium, so my tank will be a 39-40g.
I will have around 35-40 pounds of liverock, enough? A skimmer, a lid, and lights. Whats a easy DIY lid? Then lights, what would be good lights for my tank? Its 36''x12''x20'', I would like LED because of how long the lights last but i am looking at the cheapest, but good quality. The main corals will be soft and mushroom but i would like if my lights could also grow torch coral or frog spawn.

Then finaly the stock, I am thinking,
1 dwarf angel or coral beuty
2 clownfish
1fire fish (or do they do better in pairs? and could my tank support 2)
1 yellow watchman goby
1http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+530+3080&pcatid=3080
a CUC of shrimp, crabs, snails,
Think this group could work?

Last edited:
I dont use the volume in my sump for a determining factor of fish. The fish need swimming area. You could have a 10 gallon tank and a 100 gallon sump. Would make no difference for the fish. The nice part of sump volume is it adds more stability to the over all system.

Well i have decided to make the switch and try a saltwater tank, but i got a few questions.

I have descovered my 35g is actualy a 38g tank, then with the 1g refugium, so my tank will be a 39-40g.
I will have around 35-40 pounds of liverock, enough? A skimmer, a lid, and lights. Whats a easy DIY lid? Then lights, what would be good lights for my tank? Its 36''x12''x20'', I would like LED because of how long the lights last but i am looking at the cheapest, but good quality. The main corals will be soft and mushroom but i would like if my lights could also grow torch coral or frog spawn.

Then finaly the stock, I am thinking,
1 dwarf angel or coral beuty
2 clownfish
1fire fish (or do they do better in pairs? and could my tank support 2)
1 yellow watchman goby
1http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+530+3080&pcatid=3080
a CUC of shrimp, crabs, snails,
Think this group could work?

Added this post above :sfish:

I think your stock list is fine, and firefish do tend to do better in pairs. The amount of live rock is fine too -- you could even go with more, up to 80 lbs. I would pass on the lid -- it can heat your tank up and inhibit gas exchange. Check out the sticky in the DIY section of the forum to build your own mesh top instead.

You would really need four bulbs to keep most corals (that light is two bulbs). I think you may be able to keep low light softies like zoas, mushrooms and leathers with that light, but that might be iffy.

Right now zoahs and mushrooms. I plan on having a few acans, blastos, a few other LPS. I am not really into sps those are the real light hogs. Cant do a clam which I would love but...anyway. You can play with it a bit using different heights in the tank.

Now i am thinking about what corals i would want in this tank.
Zoas and anything highly toxic because i would like to frag them (and someone in my family is terrified of them) so Zoas and other highly toxic corals are out for now. The main corals i would like are mushroom, soft coral, and LSP, Are there any highly toxic ones in those groups that i should watch out for besides zoas and polpys?

Zoas are not highly toxic. There is nothing to be afraid of. Just use common sense -- don't frag them and put your fingers in your eyes or mouth. There are very few palys that contain the palytoxin. There's no reliable way to tell which ones have it, so treat them all with this type of caution. But why would you be manhandling any coral and then stick your finger in your mouth without washing it? It's common sense.

Zoas are found in almost every single reef tank and they are fragged all the time. I've heard less than half a dozen stories (of the hundreds of thousands of people that have reef tanks) of people getting sick from zoas or palys. And in most of those cases, they were fragging with open cuts or sores on their hands without using gloves.

Back